Ruger compact rifles

agross

Question. I was looking at the ruger compact rifle in 308 or 7mm-08 and was wondering if anyone has any experience with them. Rugers site says they have a 16.5 inch barrel.

The longest shot i have on my property is maybe 100 yds out of my brothers ladder stand. Just seems thAt my 7mm winchester short magnum is overkill for those 50 yd and under shots

I have never even heard of the ruger compact.. But i'm not much of a gun guy, although I have been deer hunting for over 30 years. (just used what worked and never bothered with the "whys")

If that short mag is too much, and it sounds like it is, why not save some money and just get a scoped 30-30? It's plenty for the max range you mentioned and wont break the bank. Just my 2 cents.

Im a big fan of the bolt action rifles. And to be honest the compact may be a youth / womans rifle. What i like about the bolt action is even with a short barrel the pointed 308 or7-08 can still reach out and touch them at 100 plus yards in an emergency