Pics thru 9-22-12 (Putnam County -3N)

BizCT

I hear what you guys are saying and maybe when I have taken more bucks I will be more picky. I dont hunt archery season, whereas the neighboring guys do. I cant hunt during the week due to work either (November/December busy season). I pass spikes and 4's on opening weekend but after that I take them. This 6 would be 2nd biggest NY Deer behind an 8 I got back in 2007. I can't turn him down opening morning.

Im saying 3N doesnt have as many big bucks because we dont have great food sources. I hunt nowhere near a food plots or farmlands. I hunt behind houses on a small parcel of land. Houses at our backs and we watch 2 small valleys (I watch one, my Dad watches the other) and pray for the best.

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

Not sure what you are saying here? That buck could be shot because he has 3 on one side but a bunch of spikes and fours would make it because of the AR. What do you think the AR should be 4 on one side? Can't do it based on age obviously so what is the answer? I would prefer some type of antler restriction in my area rather than nothing like I currently have. NY in whole could have the same deer that Ohio and Illy have if you ask me. All they have that we don't is beans. The reason they have such rackers is because the have a SHOTGUN ONLY season for a week and they let the huters shoot does. In NY we have a month of high powered rifles and no doe permits being given out. LET THE HUNTERS SHOOT DOES and a SHORT SHOTGUN SEASON would lead to bigger deer. Anywyas it will never happen... Most hunters in NY care about the meat and not the rack so that is just how it is.

Oh yeah and Biz-R my rule is that it has to be a six or better. If that buck is a trophy to you than put it down!!

I dont go for generalized ARs. I personally look at age rather than number of points. If its not injured and less than 2 1/2, Im not shooting it. Mind you, the 2 1/2 thing will change in time once Ive satisfied my personal standards.

Like I said to Biz though, if it makes him happy, by all means.

I believe its up to the shooter. If I saw more bucks, Id be more picky. Many years I dont see a buck or I might see 1. If I see more than 1 different buck during the shotgun season, it was a great year regardless of whether I got one or not. Being able to hunt 8 miles from where I grew up (my parents house), makes it really convenient.