Push To Include Big Bore Airguns For Big Game In New York?

13BVET

Very rarely, do airgun pellets expand, so no, there will not be a 2 inch any hole.

Secondly, if a pellet were to hit someone by accident, probably will be in excess of 300 yards away. By that time, the pellet will not be lethal, but an arrow at any yardage is.

In regards to ricochet, arrows and pellets both ricochet, so I don't see it being any less safe.

These large caliber rounds don't expand? Their that slow? I was looking at images of pigs hit with them that made massive exit holes that said 45 caliber airgun but like I said before I've never even seen one of these in person.

You are not getting an arrow from a bow going 300 yards unless you shoot it pretty much straight up in the air. Shooting a bow aiming at taget 3 feet high at 20 yards a arrow would hit the ground around 60-70 yards varying on bow speed and a lot of bow hunting is done from tree stands anyway so you would be shooting in a downward angle anyway. I'm guessing that air rifle shooting at target 3 feet high at 20 yards the bullet would go a lot further before crashing back to earth.

I see them being safer than a reg rifle but the bow thing seems to be quiet a strech. I'm assuming people are going to violenty oppose this because of the lack of power requiring you to make a good shot but I think reagardless of weapon a good shot is the only shot to take. A lot of people on this site seem to feel like anything less than a cannon is under powered for deer.

These large caliber rounds don't expand? Their that slow? I was looking at images of pigs hit with them that made massive exit holes that said 45 caliber airgun but like I said before I've never even seen one of these in person.

You are not getting an arrow from a bow going 300 yards unless you shoot it pretty much straight up in the air. Shooting a bow aiming at taget 3 feet high at 20 yards a arrow would hit the ground around 60-70 yards varying on bow speed and a lot of bow hunting is done from tree stands anyway so you would be shooting in a downward angle anyway. I'm guessing that air rifle shooting at target 3 feet high at 20 yards the bullet would go a lot further before crashing back to earth.

I see them being safer than a reg rifle but the bow thing seems to be quiet a strech. I'm assuming people are going to violenty oppose this because of the lack of power requiring you to make a good shot but I think reagardless of weapon a good shot is the only shot to take. A lot of people on this site seem to feel like anything less than a cannon is under powered for deer.

Unlike powder burners, airguns do not kill by hydroloc shock, but rather wound channel. Airguns are subsonic, especially the big bore ones. That is under 1100 fps, and in most cases, under 800 fps. If shooting straight with no angle, we're talking a drop of 24" within the first 100 yards or so.

Pretty much the distance of a 22LR but the wound channel of a muzzle loader. I'd that's not safe, I don't know what is.

Unlike powder burners, airguns do not kill by hydroloc shock, but rather wound channel. Airguns are subsonic, especially the big bore ones. That is under 1100 fps, and in most cases, under 800 fps. If shooting straight with no angle, we're talking a drop of 24" within the first 100 yards or so.

Pretty much the distance of a 22LR but the wound channel of a muzzle loader. I'd that's not safe, I don't know what is.

Good Luck with big-bore air gun thing. I'm not intrested in it but I don't see why they shouldn't be legal. Question, what would be a good pellet gun for squirrels 50 yards or less, low maintance and not loud. I borrowed a friends that was louder than my .22.

Going with the idea of most on the forum, you'll need a big bore for squirrels, just in case.

For the minority of us that actually appreciates shot placement, a .177 or .22 is enough to take squirrel. The .22 will get you a little more range while keeping the round sub-sonic and quiet. A 50 yard shot with an airgun with an accuracy of a 1/2 dollar would require something of quality, and priced around $150-400. PCP's are excellent for long range shots, but are top dollar. 3" groupings is not hard with my .25 Marauder at 100 yards.

Here's a video of a 275lb feral hog being taken with a 430 grain .45 hollowpoint out of an air rifle. The exit wound is small, but the hog goes 1 yard if that. Caution, the video is quite graphic, including a slow mo of the pig rolling over on it's side and exsanguinating. The exit wound is essentially a fountain of blood.

There's no realistic reason these weapons should not be legal for big game hunting, excepting politics. Already in this thread someone brought up the strawman "OH NOES FELONS WILL BUY THEM" nonsense. Big bore air rifles are expensive, and the support equipment necessary to use them makes them inconvenient at best. Why would a person who is already bent on committing a crime spend thousands of dollars to buy a huge, non-concealable air gun that gets between 2 and 5 shots per charge when he can just spend $500 to buy a stolen hi-point out of tony pepperoni's trunk? That dog don't hunt. Never let logic get in the way of a good appeal to emotion though.

Edited by Felonious_Monk

Big bore air rifles are expensive, and the support equipment necessary to use them makes them inconvenient at best. Why would a person who is already bent on committing a crime spend thousands of dollars to buy a huge, non-concealable air gun that gets between 2 and 5 shots per charge when he can just spend $500 to buy a stolen hi-point out of tony pepperoni's trunk? That dog don't hunt. Never let logic get in the way of a good appeal to emotion though.

yeah i'm with you. I'm not sure i get the appeal. They're quieter, but certainly not silent.

Here's a video of a 275lb feral hog being taken with a 430 grain .45 hollowpoint out of an air rifle. The exit wound is small, but the hog goes 1 yard if that. Caution, the video is quite graphic, including a slow mo of the pig rolling over on it's side and exsanguinating. The exit wound is essentially a fountain of blood.

There's no realistic reason these weapons should not be legal for big game hunting, excepting politics. Already in this thread someone brought up the strawman "OH NOES FELONS WILL BUY THEM" nonsense. Big bore air rifles are expensive, and the support equipment necessary to use them makes them inconvenient at best. Why would a person who is already bent on committing a crime spend thousands of dollars to buy a huge, non-concealable air gun that gets between 2 and 5 shots per charge when he can just spend $500 to buy a stolen hi-point out of tony pepperoni's trunk? That dog don't hunt. Never let logic get in the way of a good appeal to emotion though.

I was the one who asked about the felons thing.I have a cousin that used to hunt with a mzldr untill the new law.Now he can only bow hunt.So i lost a partner on some outings cause he doesn't wan't to bother hunting big woods with the bow.Thats why i asked.Not because i am worried.LOL.but i know that just .177 or .22 pellet guns for small game are expensive for the high power ones.(benjamin for like 460.00)So i know like you stated that 800-1200 $ for an air rifle is not in his budget.LOL.But if it were,i would like to know if he could get one.But then again.its basicly like shooting a bow.I mean whats the distance of one of these.50 yds?It is more of a handicap thing for some sportsmen.It is the long bow of guns.

I was the one who asked about the felons thing.I have a cousin that used to hunt with a mzldr untill the new law.Now he can only bow hunt.So i lost a partner on some outings cause he doesn't wan't to bother hunting big woods with the bow.Thats why i asked.Not because i am worried.LOL.but i know that just .177 or .22 pellet guns for small game are expensive for the high power ones.(benjamin for like 460.00)So i know like you stated that 800-1200 $ for an air rifle is not in his budget.LOL.But if it were,i would like to know if he could get one.But then again.its basicly like shooting a bow.I mean whats the distance of one of these.50 yds?It is more of a handicap thing for some sportsmen.It is the long bow of guns.

I apologize if I misunderstood you, sincerely. The range on high end PCP guns varies depending on power setting, bullet weight, and other factors. 100 yd target shooting isn't unheard of. Out of my big bore, a 158 gr .358 moving down range is carrying 210 ish ft-lbf of energy at the muzzle. At 75 yds my ballistic calculator has it still carrying 100 ft-lbf and about 80 at 100 yds. I have it zeroed for 50 yds, because really I just use it to target shoot. And mine is one of the less powerful ones. Guys have taken coyote size game and bigger out past 100 yds with big bore air rifles. One of the bigger issues is susceptibility to wind drift and to some extent accuracy. Hurling lead that size at what are essentially handgun velocities is not overly conducive to long range ballistic stability. Where I live there's really no predators to hunt, but I'd feel comfortable taking yotes with my big bore out to 75 yds.

I'm sorry about your cousin, and I'm sorry for misunderstanding your intent.