Sterling state Forest tomorrow wish me luck!

AaronBlaine

holly sweet hell! I got lost at sterling for 10 hours. Didnt see a single deer! Blew my knees out and my back climbing for hoouurrrss! Crazy thing was when i pulled up something kept throwing rocks in the pond by the parking lot. I mean big ass rocks scared the bajeesus out of me! Bigfoots out there playing pranks again!

Was it your first time there? You do have to be careful it is 15K acres - thankfully it's not as overgrown as some other areas like Stewart where there's not way through in the direction you want to go and have to backtrack!

I'm thinking your rock throwing bigfoot was a beaver slapping it's tail and the first time I heard it it scared the crap out of me too. Thought it was someone on shore throwing bowling balls at us. Almost capsized the canoe!

I went in by Blue Mtn. lake at 5:45, sat for a bit then still hunted a loop over to the cedar pond parking area and out by 11am. Did not even see one squirrel! Is everything hibernating?

• Like 1

hey man you know what your right! You prob seen my silver s-10 pickup truck with the black cap lol i was at the same lot i think with the porta potty lol. I was waaaaaaaayyy up in the mountains and i here this extremely loud crackling and then the ground shook as a tree came down maybe 100 yards in front of me by the swamps! BEAVERS ARE NO JOKE! i went through the swamps and all the mud and pricker bushes to get to the other side and you should see how that little bugger was nibbling through full size trees! I must have flicked off about 15 deer ticks one of em even had a red spot in the center of it! Sterling is a beautiful park though i had a great time! Funny thing is i was planning on parking on the southern end by the residential area and when i pulled in there was a beautiful 8 point full bodied fat buck sitting in the road eye balling my head lights. I watched two does sprint by me at the top of one of the mountains into the thicket and i did not have a chance in hell at taking a shot. Stuart was interesting i hunted there last year with a crossbow. Pretty park i like how they designate parking spots however it sure sounded like there were guys doing pushes they were popping off shotgun shells like it was the 4th of july. It was late in the season when i went it was my first trip.

Isn't that always the case - side of the road where they're safe on the way home!

BTW - I stopped in to the check in station on my way out to see if anyone had anything in there and was chatting with one of the parks guys (there was only one today at 10am at that point). I asked him if there were any bears taken this year and he said someone got one during bow season that was over 500 lbs! He said there scale had gotten up to 500lbs when the metal boom started to bend so they just cut the line to prevent it from breaking! The other was a 55lb cub on the 1st day of gun - didn't think to ask if the guy got prosecuted if it was a cub.