Bass fishing

hunterskier

The bass are deeper now, been getting them in 20-30 FOW. They're on live shiners and hard baits now, like cranks and rattles. Spinner baits was doing good a month ago, but getting them deep enough is a challenge and makes for slow fishing.

I'd go with drop shooting and deep cranks this time of year.

I fish some shallow ponds.. no more then about 5 to 6 feet in the deepest parts, so I'm not sure if my experience will help you.

Last week, I fished 3 times in freshwater. I caught 3 Chain Pickerel up to 23 inches. I managed only one Largemouth and it was 16 inches and FAT. I dropped two nice fish, one I saw and it was a big pickerel. I lost them because they got down into the weeds and I couldn't budge them..All the fish were in the same area, which is weedy.

I was using a Black/red 1/4 oz. Laser Eye Bass Pro Double Colorado Spinnerbait with a 4 inch black twister tail for all fish.I slow roll the spinnerbait and usually add an occasional hop, and stop during the retrieve. The Bass hit it on the drop. For ME the 1/4 ounce seems good in these shallow ponds,

I use a lot of unweighted soft plastics, Texas Rigged weedless on a 5/0 Xtra Wide Gap Worm Hook and usually do really well on those, but haven't connected with them YET this year.

I generally end freshwater soon( except for trout)and continue in the beginning of March(my favorite time where legal), but last winter was sooooo good, So I'm gonna fish throughout the winter until the lake freezes unless I decide to go south for a while.

Last year was the first year in a lifetime of fishing that I caught Largemouth in the heart of winter, and I got some real "HAWGS" (for L.I.).. I get Pickerel, but not Bass at that time of year. BUT last year WAS exceptionally warm.

Good luck.. hope ya get some big 'uns