Striped Bass

greybeard

JrDeerslayer..   I'd like to learn how you fish the river...

Our herring run is in late fall into winter.. I get them until Jan.  When is your herring run ?

I live line bunker with no weight and drift thru the schools of bunker.. How do you fish the herring ?

How do  you keep them alive ? Do you have a live well ??

Do you get Bluefish that far north ?

How's the Northern Pike fishing in the Hudson ?  I am in awe of Northern Pike .

my computer's blinking.. gotta go

Of course it changes some  every year but the herring have normally made it to the Troy federal dam by mid April. This year the herring had made it up by approximately April 9. By now nearly all the stripers up north have migrated back down river and the river is a ghost town.

To catch herring early in the run we often have to make a quick trip to a river tributary where the herring congregate to catch them. After a few weeks, after they have arrived and assuming the river is not completely muddy with 0 visibility they are easy to catch with a sibiki  rig. I weight the sibiki with a 1 ounce sinker. Having a fish finder really helps locate the school and there depth in the water column. A few weeks after that every cast or jig of a sibiki will get you herring often 3 or 4 at a time. Some people cast stoolies( A decoy fish) from shore and lure schooling herring into their awaiting nets to scoop them out of the water. I keep them alive in a live well which has a bilge pump shooting water threw small holes in a PVC pipe to keep them fresh and lively. Aerated water or running water is key to there survival.

I personally drift fish with the boat keeping the egg sinker( around 3 ounces) at or nearly at the bottom of the river. We get snagged fairly often, but that's the nature of the game. Some people anchor in or around the river channel. I  almost exclusively fish live whole herring and have almost no luck with herring chunks. Some people find just the opposite.

Northern pike are in the river and fairly plentiful, some are caught on herring fishing for stripers. Personally for me once the stripers are gone so am I, and you wont find me on it again until next year. Other then maybe a catfish trip or two.

No other ocean fish other then the stripers, herring, and shad that I am aware of.

I am a member of stripers247 you should check out the hudson river thread.

Also check out riverbasinsports there if you scroll down will show you exact dates of arrivals of fish and pictures of some true slammers as they hold the biggest striper tournament on the Hudson.

Thank you for that info.. It was very informative...I didn't realize that the herring were up there so much later then down here..We use sabiki's also.

I get most from shore, but take the kayak to some spots if the weather is ok and the ice isn't in the harbor..

A decoy fish, sounds great.. I never heard of that. I gotta look it up to see what they look like.

I've seen some guys tie an aluminum piece to their lines to attract them, but never a decoy..

For herring from the yak I like to use a fishfinder...Sometimes the screen is black because there are so many..

I also will, on occasion, use a fish finder for stripers..

Friday the blues and bass were tailing and I could site cast to them..I like to do that..No fish finder necessary, and no sittin' in bunker schools..( I am an avid bluefish  hunter,)

I'm fascinated by pike, so if I lived up there I'd be a fanatic.

Thanks again for all the info....

I'll check the stripers 247 site

Shawn.. I don't know too much about herring except that they stink, I get full of scales, and  catch a load of them..I thought down here that they were bluebacks.. Is that different ???

What Herring do they get up there ? Are the shad that we get the same as up there ? I "think" the one's in the Delaware are different.

Do you know how far that the bluefish go up the Hudson.

(I was at the inlet today.. Blues came thru a few times. The  terns  were screamin' and diving, I love that.....They weren't big, and didn't stay long, but they're fun to catch. I happened to show up at the right time..)

B., the herring you get from November through March are Atlantic herring, different from Bluebacks. They look very similar, but was told they are different and come in at different times. I believe 2-3 different species of herring run up the Hudson to spawn, one of them being the Alewife. Herring is said to be on the decline, and new regulations are forbidding the catch of some species and certain waters.

I'd love to get into some blues and stripers, but alas, hard to do from shore as I don't know any productive spots.

All these years I thought they were bluebacks.. live and learn.. Thanx for that info..

We get alewives , I'm not sure what they look like exactly.. They put ladders from salt to fresh for them to spawn in some lakes..

I'm kinda lucky for fishing salt.. I'm 5 miles from the bay and 20 minutes from the South Shore ocean and 20 minutes to the North Shore Harbors leading to the Long Island Sound.Sometimes, rarely these days, I start North in the a.m. in the kayak.. then drop it home and head to the south shore surf..

I don't do it as much now, but for many years, in the fall, when weather wasn't good for 'yakin', or a good run was happening along the beaches I would start out  to surf cast in the morning on the west end of Jones and go east  beach to beach to search for fish.. Then go over the bridge to Moses..Then work the same in reverse. That'd be hard for you to do, and sometimes, as you know, ya don't find fish..( I also have a network of fishermen who fill me in and I do the same for them..).

How's City Island ??  I've read that they do well there. I've been there a number of times, but never fished there. Check Rich Johnson's  site...Thefishingline.com and go to the North Shore report.. As I recall it's the 1st report listed for the North Shore.. Then check the surf reports..

I'd pm you with fish movements, but an active beach with bass and, or blues today can be dead tomorrow.