surf fishing

long island hunter 5

Think you should have asked those questions before you got the rod.

The rod should tell you the lb test range and lure weight range recommended.

Some people use as low as 8lb test on their surf rods and as high as 300lb braid.

If you are plugging with a St Croix, Lami, or a GLoomis, I'd probably recommend 20lb -30lb braid or 10-15lb mono. If you are soaking bait, I'd go with 30-50lb braid or 20-40lb mono.

When the blues are in, go with a steel leader and a size 6/0 hook. Bunker is a favorite as well as clams for stripers. Larger hooks for larger fish. Smaller hooks will get you some more hookups.

Edited by shawnhu

first off what length is you rod ,one piece or two piece,what ounce is it rated for.you see its important,are you going to cast lures or use for chunking bait on the bottom.I have different rods lengths and each one is rated for different lure weights 2-4 oz ect.I mainly cast lures and live eels at night here on Cape Cod.i use 25-40 lb leaders made with fluorocarbon,if your fishing rocky areas you might need the heaver leaders get spro swivels they come in different poundage 50lb will do.what are you using for line

for example 20lb mono or heaver braid which has a smaller diameter than mono and cast better. I would talk to as many surf guys you know to get the right set up for you.what kind of reel are you using as you can see its pretty hard to give one kind of answer without seeing the setup you have.

40 LB FLUROCARBON LEADER ,ATTACH A FISHFINDER RIG TO YOUR MAIN LINE TIE TO SWIVEL ATTACH LEADER TO OTHER END OF SWIVEL THEN USE A 8/0 HOOK TRY FRESH BUNKER CHUNK AND CHANGE BAIT EVERY 15 MIN OR SO IT TENDS TO WASH OUT THE SCENT,CAST OUT AND LEAVE CLICKER ON YOUR REEL ON.GOOD LUCK ...ALMOST FORGOT 30Z SINKER IS A GOOD START

Edited by hunterman7956