Hunt Huckleberry Ridge?

Two Track

I was looking to see other options to hunt when Stewart State Forest is full.  I saw that near Port Jervis is Huckleberry Ridge state forest.

Can you hunt there?

Is there a practical way to get in there?   The parking area I saw on a map is not by any trail head and you have to hike just to reach a trail or the state forest land.

Since it is name huckleberry ridge, Are there still huckleberry/blueberry bushes there to attract bears that I will need to watch out for?

State Forest along the Shawungunk Ridge should be huntable. Not a bad area. Camping is allowed - no fees. However, the trail is managed by the NY-NJ Trail Conference and part of the Shawangunk Ridge Trail System (possibly the Long Path). So it likely sees some Hikers. Yes - there are quite a few Black Bear in this area. 

I am I better off on on the portion south of 84 or the portion north of 84 just east of Port Jervis?

Do you know which area is more heavily hiked? 

I have hunted another in another public area and had someone take their yellow labs off-leash during deer season - I left to avoid any potential issues or be accused of hunting deer with a dog.  That was the second person that went through with a dog that morning - I figured that would mess up the hunt as it was a loop trail and I was in the middle off-trail.

I may try to squirrel hunt Huckleberry ridge to scope out the terrain and see what's around in Sept.

Know if there is any chance for turkey there?

Edited by Two Track