Getting into Bow hunting this year, Question about antler restrictions

Dorsilfin

I hunt in 3A in the heart of the catskills so deer are sparse.

I am planning on doing bow season there as well now as well as regular season with my rifle.

With my bow tag, since its for an antler or antlerless deer.  assuming I dont get anything past the 3 points on 1 side, can I take a smaller buck like a 2-4 pointer and tag it as a doe on my tag? or is it Does only, or bucks with 3 or more points on 1 side?

A deer is considered to have antlers if the antlers are 3" or greater. SO you could shoot a buck with spiked smaller than 3" and tag it as and antlerless deer. But I sure wouldn't want to "estimate" incorrectly.  If one antler is over 3" then it IS an antlered buck and needs to have 3 legal points on one side. (measured 1" from the line of the main beam) 

Make sense?

• Like 2

Yeah im following you.  So assuming a button buck it would be ok so long as its under 3inches but if its over that,  you cant take them with any permit until they get 3 points on 1 side.

I hate to take a doe from the small group of deer around my property, and will probably pass on them for another area if I dont see a buck.  Thanks for the info.