Syracuse.com - Just who is that NYC woman who had harsh words for those who take youngsters Canada goose hunting?

I emailed Adjamine today, wondering she had read all the comments posted by readers about her. She said she had, and intends to respond soon. Stay tuned.

Earlier this week I posted comments from Patty Adjamine, a New York City woman who was outraged and condemning of a picture that ran recently on this blog of a 12-year-old Tully boy who legally shot two Canadian geese while hunting with his father.

Among her statements: "As far as the claim that hunting helps in father/son '"bonding,'" I personally find this ludicrous."

Just who is this woman?

Among other things, I've found out she maintains a Facebook page, has a Twitter handle of @LoveThemGeese and founded a group in 1994 that on its website says it has rescued and placed several thousand homeless cats and dogs.

Her anti-goose hunting comments, which I posted, resulted in 65 comments as of late today from readers, many who felt she was arrogant and uninformed -- the epitome of a New York City resident who naïvely thinks that what sees in Central Park and in the city is illustrative of the entire state's wildlife scene.

One reader suggested she should consider registering to be a "fresh air kid" and brought upstate for a dose of reality. Another, posting a comment on another story, made a reference to her being a "hippy cat lady."

However, a few readers posted comments applauded her views.

Adjamine conceded she has been a vegetarian since 1976 and as a result that has colored her impression of hunting and those who eat what they harvest. She also noted she walks to Central Park daily and is constantly taking pictures of the one Canada goose there and the numerous ducks. She maintains a blog showing the numerous pictures she has taken of waterfowl at Central Park, in addition to stories about saving homeless cats and dogs,.

Googling her name , I found out that she has written letters expressing her opinions to Newsday and the New York Times.

I also discovered she is the founder of New Yorkers for Companion Animals (NYCA), which according to the group's website is a non-profit corporation founded in 1994. "Since it's inception, NYCA has successfully rescued and placed more than 5,000 abandoned or homeless cats and dogs," the website said.

"We do not have a physical shelter or a salaried working staff, nor do we receive any government funding. We are entirely dependent on the sacrifices and caring of a handful of reliable and responsible volunteers and foster people and the generous and compassionate private donors who enable our mission."

And Adjamine?

"A lifelong New Yorker, Patty Adjamine has been an active advocate of animal rights since the 1980's, and continues to regularly write on the subject," the NYCA website said.

"Patty began her animal rescue career at the age of 8, when she rescued her first cat. The brown tabby was discovered in the hallway of her apartment building with no tenants admitting ownership. Since her mother was afraid of cats, it required some persuasion, but Patty eventually convinced her mother to let her adopt the feline.

"The cat ended up living 17 years in bliss, and most importantly," the website notes, "iinspired Patty to make animal advocacy her life's pursuit.

"In 1994,she founded her own rescue organization to effect a greater impact. Since then, she has successfully found homes for thousands of homeless cats and dogs, and has worked tirelessly to raise awareness for this important cause," the website notes.

I emailed Adjamine today, wondering she had read all the comments posted by readers about her -- particularly the one written by the mother of the boy in the picture that she so openly condemned. She said she had read the comments and intends on responding soon.

Stay tuned.

View the full article on The Syracuse Outdoors Blog