Another question about shooting does

rvadog

Hey guys,

I'm a very new hunter. I shot my first deer two years ago in Virginia. I'm relatively lucky as far as hunting goes as I have access to about 700 acres of land in VA that an old family friend allows no one to hunt on but family and I have access to some private property in 3H here in NY.

I have read the NY regs and as I understand it during gun season you may not shoot a doe. Is this correct?

Sorry if this is a dumb question but I'm used to VA where you can shoot as many as 6 does in a season and MUST shoot at least 3 does if you want to use all your tags.

Check you tags. If you have the bow muzz privilage you get two extra and one is either sex one is doe. No idea if 3H had dmp's but that time is gone anyway. If you don't bow hunt you can still get 1 muzz tag for either sex deer but for mz season use only.

That's what I thought. I've never shot a bow and do not own a muzzleloader.

I'm  no trophy hunter. When I go out my primary goal is to put venison in  the freezer. If I had to watch a shootable doe walk by knowing that  maybe the only shootable deer I see all season it'd kill me.

It is very possible to still get a buck during the rifle season with 3 points on one side or better.  The chances of a DMP in that area are very slim.  If you do have a bow and get a muzzleloader you chances of harvesting any deer have increased cause of the extra tags.  There are alot deer around good luck.

You can also go to long island state land during the shotgun season. unlimited does in that area.  Not sure how far it is from you.  That area has alot of deer running around