questions regarding duck hunting

chrispunx

i've been interested in duck hunting since i was a teenager. never knew anyone that hunted for duck, so i don't have anyone to ask these questions. if anyone could answer a few i'd appreciate it.

is there a class i need to take? (other then the hunting safety course)

where can i get the license?

where is a good location in or near oneida county?

when does the season start?

other then duck calls and decoys, is there anything else i would need?

No class necessary, but a duck Identification course  is priceless. Check with DEC, or local waterfowl clubs in your area.

There used to be a book, "Ducks at a Distance", that was really good, I THINK it's on the internet, but I'm not sure..I used to carry a little book with color drawings of ducks in addition to the ducks at a distance book. Most times the shooting is too fast to consult the book, but I did find it helpful once when I saw some old squaw, swimmin' around and wasn't sure what they were..

You use your small game license and MUST buy current a Federal Duck stamp.. The post office has them...

You need a HIP #.. Looka at the DEC NY website under Waterfowl hunting to see how to get the #.. It takes a few seconds.

I don't know anything about upstate duck hunting.

DEC website has the seasons in all areas of the State...I think you go to DECNY.. click on hunting.. go to Waterfowl and you'll see the seasons section( I'm pretty sure that's it, if I'm a little off you'll find it when you're on the site)

Remember to put the plug in the shotgun and  have NO lead shells on you.

Equipment depends on where and how you hunt..

You may need waders, a decoy bag, a shotgun shell holder, knife. How about  goose call, Maybe a chair(I bring one). Good gloves(it's COLD) .. I'm probably forgetting something,I always do, so I hope someone here jumps in.

You may walk and jump ducks, then things differ. You may go in a duck boat so you adjust for that..

It's fun, but be careful.

I am from LI so down here there is no course other then hunting course. I believe in some areas upstate you might have to take a waterfowl identification course but I don't know for sure.

Get hunting license online

Get Federal duck stamp from post office

Register for HIP (Harvest Info Program)  again online through DEC website

Don't know anything about Oneida county

Seasons are different throughout state check DEC website

also check bag limits and types of ducks you are allowed to shoot and how many of each

Depending on where you hunt you might need boat, waders,  blinds etc there is an endless list of stuff they sell for different types of waterfowl hunting

Enjoy

Chris,

I have hunted ducks since age 14, (now 51). To be legal in NY you need a small game license, a federal duck stamp, (can be purchased at any post office for $15.00), and a NY HIP registration number, (can be obtained online). This will get you legal. It is however, a very good idea to take a duck ID course, which are offered in various places around the state. I took mine at Montezuma National Wildlife Refuge many years ago, but they still offer it. 

Season dates are spilt between 5 different areas of NY, all with separate dates. You can find this info at http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/28888.html

Many bodies of water hold waterfowl, of course knowing the legality of where to hunt is important. Again, I direct you to the NYDEC website for more info. The best way to learn is by finding someone who has experience and will let you tag along. Two important factors are, having permission if your on, or going across private land, AND, where you can legally shoot on land, or over water.

To be successful, scouting is the key. The best decoys and calling in the world, can't compete with being where the birds want to be. Find where they are one day, set up the next, and you will have success. Don't forget the camo, birds can see well, and you must wear life preservers after November 1, its now the law. (Good idea anytime)

Lastly, cold water kills quickly!! Don't ever fool with big water in a small boat. Always be prepared, and when in doubt, don't go out!

Hope this helps some.....

Also on Long Island we get checked a lot by DEC.

Make sure:

its non toxic shot

plugged shotgun (no more then 3 round)

duck stamp and license signed

Have HIP #

back tag on

life preserver "ON" for moving boats

Never had a problem, always be courteous mostly routine checks.

I forgot.. I wear one of those hats that pull over your whole  head with a camo face mask. It has holes for eyes and mouth(good for calling). It keeps your head, back of neck and face warm. I also bring a brimmed adjustable camo ball cap in case of sun/rain.. and sunglasses. In warmer weather I wear my turkey face mask.. Those birds have good eyes.

I should have mentioned, the chair that I bring is a camp chair.. $7- 12. Sports authority, etc. have them.. They fold inward and come with a bag with a sling They have a back and arm rests  too...Mine even has a cup holder..It's like sitting at the beach in winter.. Well almost.. Most guys carry a stool type, or sit on a log.. Maybe they're better for getting up to shoot, but I like a LITTLE comfort