Hunting snowshoe hare

Terry

I took tomorrow off and was thinking about trying for snowshoes. I have never hunted them and was hoping someone could give me some pointers. Mainly I need to know what kind of habitat they like. I will be hunting without a dog. Thanks

They can be tough to spot without a dog.  Look for them in pine thickets and or thick tag alders.  Basically the thicker the better.  Unlike Cottontails, Snowshoes almost always circle which is why it is so much fun hunting them with a dog.  Without a dog, I'd ease along slowly and keep an eye down low near the base of trees and clumps of brush.  Binoculars might help.  If you can find an area where you can walk along an elevated area near the thick stuff and look down into it, it may help.  There were a few areas where I hunted them this way.  I used a 22 and hoped to catch them sitting before they spotted me and took off.  

Terry, you're going to love hare hunting...I try to head up to Fort Drum once a year for a weekend of hare hunting but couldn't make it up this year.  We don't use a dog either...concentrate on the younger conifers and younger thick edges of forest moving real slow...you'd be surprised how tight they sit sometimes so you'll have to walk right up to each piece of cover