New to your forum

JimS

Hi All,

I am new to your forum but I have been hunting for about 35 years. I have lived in Orange County most of my life but spent some time in a few other states. I came across your forum while trying to find farmers who still allow hunting. The land I hunted for years is now dotted with houses or the farmers just don't allow anyone except farm hands to hunt. I have been forced to hunt on DEC lands and to be honest, I just don't like being on the same land as some of the "hunters" I have seen. There was way too much shooting for my comfort. 1 shot is good, 2 shots are acceptable, but strings of 5,6 or 7 (2 people shooting?) shots make me nervous. I will step down off my soap box now and listen for a while. Thanks for having this forum available.

Jim

Welcome Jim...

It's a shame how much habitat has been lost due to housing projects.  Your take on too many shots ringing out is the reason I hunt on my buddy's farm.  Even though it's not large, it's just the two of us - we know where each other is and it's most generally 1-shot and down.

Good luck this year and again... welcome.

Welcome to the site!

Your 'fear' of public land rings loud & clear to me..

A couple years ago, I went up to Urbana Forest in Steuben County for opener..

There is a reason they put so much deer to the dirt! Sounded like WWIII was kicking off!!

I posted by a large tree the whole day, and walked out to the truck after dark..

Broke camp & high tailed it back to the Catskills!

Hope you can find some 'safer' hunting spots this year..