Hunting Gets Positive Publicity in Oprah's O Magazine

Mr VJP

Hunting Gets Positive Publicity in Oprah's O Magazine

EDGEFIELD,  S.C.

In a first for the hunting community, the December edition of  Oprah's O magazine includes a positive article about hunting. Written  by Kimberly Hiss, the article details her wild turkey hunt and the  challenges that come with harvesting an animal.

The three-page article, which begins on page 189, includes a photo of the author and the wild turkey she shot on the trip.

"This is a really big step for hunting," said Brent Lawrence, public  relations director for the National Wild Turkey Federation. "Many  mainstream media outlets, particularly women's publications, shy away  from positive hunting stories. This wonderful article gives a voice to  millions of hunters and provides valuable insight to non-hunters."

The NWTF coordinated the hunt with help from the Nebraska Game and  Parks Commission and wildlife manager Bob Meduna, Benelli USA, Bass Pro  Shops and Cabela's.

The article details the wide range of emotions Hiss feels while hunting, particularly during her first deer hunt.

"For every turkey wrap or club sandwich I'd ever eaten, something had  been killed for my benefit - I'd just never done the killing myself.  The deer hunt invitation seemed an opportunity, a challenge even, to  reclaim my place in the food chain by assuming responsibility for the  meat on my plate," Hiss wrote.

Hiss, who endured minus-19-degree wind chills and a foot of snow last  December on the hunt near Kearney, Neb., used virtually every part of  the bird. She made table decorations from the tail feathers and donated  the remaining feathers to the NWTF's feather distribution program for  Native American tribes.

"I encourage everybody to check out this article," said Lawrence.  "Members of the hunting community should write supportive letters to  the editor commenting on the article. Letting the editors hear from us  in a postive manner may encourage them to publish more pro-hunting  articles. Anti-hunters will write in so we have to make our voices  heard, too."

To read the article, visit http://www.oprah.com/food/Women-and...ng-Harvest.