Sudz 2014 Hunting Journal

Sudzy8

I had a lone doe at 25 yards this morning. Was spitting some rain and a little breezy. She fed downwind of me for 5-7 minutes and never scented me. I just started using the scent killer gold stuff so I was glad to see that it seemed to work. My brother passed on a small buck at 15 yards and saw another 5 does and fawns for a total of 6 this morning.

I'm going to be sneaking into the area where we have had a big 9 on camera all summer. Hoping to catch him going out to a cloverfield tonight.

I woke up Sunday morning and with the combination of wind and rain decided to sleep in. If it was Nov 5th I would have hunted but decided to skip Oct 5.

Sunday evening I hunted the same spot as I did Saturday night. I had a doe come by at 20 yards and a spike go behind me at 6:15. Both deer fed out to the cloverfield.

I hunted three times this weekend and could have shot a deer each sit. I always use this first weekend as a trial run to get organized and get ready for the rest of the season. Overall a great weekend. Looking forward to next weekend already. These weeks of work in between take forever.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I need to catch up a little bit.

Oct. 11

AM- I had a 6 pt follow a trail by me at 7 yards. I got a great video of him. If u knew how to post it I would. A short while later a doe crossed into some pines 60 yards away.

PM- I saw zip until my bow hit the ground. A doe fed by me at 30 yards and behind her was a 2.5 year old wide 8 pt. He had short tines and very little mass. I was stuck in the tree for another 15 minutes waiting for them to feed out into a field.

Oct 12

AM-I was shut out completely for the first time this yea . My dad and brother were both shut out as well.

PM-I had a six point come past me at 35 yards and a doe and two fawns travel by shortly after at 20 yards. I gave the doe a pass because I didn't want to be tracking and dragging on a night where I had work the next day.

Oct 18

AM-It was raining when I woke up so I went back to bed. My brother went out and saw a racked buck about 90 yards away.

PM-Checked trail cam and the big 9 pt that I have been hunting had been past on Friday night at 7:15. I was really hoping that the rainy weather would have him on his feet during legal shooting hours tonight. I saw nothing all night until 615 when a 7 pt came to 21 yards. We had pics of this buck from August. He will be a shooter next season as a 3 year old.

Oct 19

AM-What a great morning to hunt. Cold and little wind. I really expected to be run over by deer during this mornings hunt. At 7:40 I turned to my left and a young buck was in my mock scrape at 20 yards. I have no idea where he came from. He just appeared out of nowhere. I saw nothing the rest of the morning and went to breakfast at 9:30.

PM-I saw 8 deer during the course of the evening. All does and fawns. They ranged from 60 yards to 15. Again having to work on Monday gave the adult does a free pass.

At the halfway point the best bow hunting is yet to come. I'm looking forward to action picking up over the next three weeks.