Bluebirds

Pygmy

I was leaning against a tree this morning in north central PA, hoping a buck would walk by...I saw a bird flutter down to the snow near me and then fly back up to a nearby tree..It was an eastern bluebird..Then I saw another, and another...Soon I was in the middle of a whole flock of bluebirds..

30 degrees F and 8 inches of snow on the ground and I was surrounded by what was certainly a migrating flock of bluebirds. This is latest I have ever seen them this far north. I have no idea what they were eating, but they were flying down to the snow covered forest floor and getting SOMETHING, and then flying back up in the trees..They stayed around me for about an hour..It gave me something to watch, because the deer weren't moving much. Saw a big momma doe and two fawns, but she was safe from me since I already filled my PA antlerless tags.

• Like 4

Some Bluebirds spend the winter in New York. They are found almost every year on the Fort Plain Christmas Bird Count. They can also be found at higher elevations south of the Thruway and lakes as long as there is enough fruit for them to eat.

It is still special to see them in winter.