My first game

Elmo

I just started hunting this season for the first time in my life.  I went on two prior outings and haven't caught anything yet.  I went for squirrels again today determined to bag something but being that it was the last day of deer season and the down pour, my expectations were low.  Even the ranger at the check-in station was telling me that it'll be tough to get the squirrels running in this weather.  Me and my brother tried using a squirrel call and got nothing.  What we did get was a few crows laughing at us.  We tried to stark the crows but they knew we were there and just teased us.  They would let us get within 50 yards or so and they would take off and land a little further down.  We kept following after them and they lead us to a clearing near a lake and in the middle of this clearing, we saw a bunch of birds walking around in a group.  With the heavy rain, we couldn't tell what they heck they were so we kept on watching.  We left the binoculars in the car because we figure it wouldn't do any good in this heavy rain.  One of the bird eventually spotted us and took off.  When it did, the rest followed.  With the wings spread, it became obvious what they were.  Canadian Geese!  Me and my little bro emptied 6 rounds total (#6 shot, steel pellets) and hit nothing.  One goose did land on a tree branch while the rest continued to the other side of the lake.  We figured we must have wounded it.  As we tried to get closer for a kill shot, it too took off over the lake looking as healthy as ever.  I couldn't believe it.  These birds flew within 50 feet of us and we missed every one of them!  Down on ourselves, we turned around and started walking back away from the lake when my brother saw it.  A second Canadian goose had decided to land on a tree branch and it just stood there.  We got low.  I made sure I had my beads on him perfectly.  Took one shot and down came tumbling my first successful harvest.  Canadian geese.  We didn't see anything else the rest of the day other than those annoying crows who continue to mock us from a safe distance.  Funny how it works.  That I came for squirrel, ended up chasing crows, that lead me to geese on a day where I wasn't expecting anything.