Public land near Dryden

Joebada

Hi Guys,

I bow and rifle hunt every year on a friend's property at the south end of Keuka Lake, but will also be hunting public land around Dryden, NY the last two weekends of rifle season for the first time.

I've been studying topo maps and marking areas that look promising, but I'm wondering if anyone would be willing to share general local knowledge of the area?

My friend and I are meat hunters, so will be looking to shoot mature does with the rifle - either from climbers or spot and stalk depending on the conditions. Looking to hunt within 30 min drive of Dryden Lake.

Any and all insights / advice is most appreciated. Looking forward to another great season (despite the new rule changes) and hope I can help thin the out of control doe to buck ratio.

Thank you,

Joe

Edited by Joebada

Thanks, I've been checking out all the state forest lands within 30 min of Dryden, but I'll pay particuar attention to Tuller.

Do you know if there's any non-posted private land to hunt in the area by any chance?

Also wondering if any landowners would grant permission for does only? 

As far as I know its mostly state land, I've only hunted one area for a few years and only saw one hunter, you could ask some landowners if they'd give you permission there are a few farms around that might give permission if you want to try that, otherwise there's a lot of forest in the area the spot I used to go was off of Pipeline Rd, if you look up Pipeline Rd Cortland NY on Google maps you can get a better view of the area.