.22 Hornet for Coyotes?

Hey, does anyone have or use a .22 hornet and is it reliable enough on our coyotes?

I am torn between the new ruger in .17wsm rimfire with a 20 gr. bullet and fast vs a .22 reloadable hornet with a 45 grain pill.

Leaning toward the .22 Hornet.

Also, is it really that much quieter, given identical barrel lengths, from say a .223, 22-250?

We hunted with a guy last year who was using a 17. He had two broadside shots at 40 yards, and both dogs reacted as tho they were hit, but we didnt get either. My girlfriend uses .17 on chucks, but even they get away sometimes if the hit isn't perfect. I think the 17 will kill them if you place it perfectly, but it will result in a lot of lost ones too. Blood trails are non-existent with the 17. The 17 will cause less pelt damage, but that doesn't do much good if the coyote is still running around wearing it. I think the hornet would be a good choice, but the 223 would be a better one. It's faster, has longer range, plenty of knockdown for a yote, & the ammo is cheap / easy to find compared to the hornet. As far as noise, the 223 will be louder.

• Like 2

Coyotes are tough and quite resilient animals. I hunt them with a shotgun using 3" #4 loads for thick cover calling. I also use a Ruger carbine .44 magnum for cover calls. I use various rifles also nothing less than 223. Your gonna have have run offs with those light calibers unless your primarily gonna be taking head shots. Don't use anything less than a 223. if going for vital area shots.   

The ,223 has many advantages over the .22 Hornet.  Ammo is cheaper and readily available, the round works better on yotes at longer ranges, more rifles are available for it and reloading is easier.  The Hornet is OK within it's limits and has seen good days, but they have come and gone.

I have both a .22 Hornet and a .223 . There is quite a difference between the two in terms of ballistics and energy. I would have to ask you what are the absolute maximum distances you think you will ever be shooting at a coyote or other similar critter either where you are currently hunting or any other places that you envision hunting. let that be your guide as to caliber selection. With a .223 on coyotes you will never find yourself under-gunned. I will say this.... The only reason I have a .22 hornet is because it was inherited.