Still new to hunting suffolk

psygrad

Honestly the best thing you can do is scout, thats how you find the "best" spots. You can be successful in pretty much any piece of DEC or county park lands if your willing to give it time and figure the area out. Whenever a day comes around when the wind direction isn't good for one of my regular sets i'll put my stand on my back and slowly walk an area im interested in mid-day. when I find decent sign set up quietly and hunt the evening. I've gotten lucky with a couple big bucks I didn't know existed doing this.

• Like 1

Some of the smaller patches of the old "navy co-op" lands (now called the "otis pike preserve?") were pretty good as they run generally along the peconic river and have more diverse habitat, wetlands and hard woods rather than pure pine barrens.  

Sarnoff is good and the last I hunted there you did not need to check in at Ridge every morning during deer season.

One of my favorite "honey holes" used to be out on sag harbor, a finger patch sticking out into the bay, had to drive through the golf course to get to it.  Great squirrel and deer spot, and fantastic for duck hunting.

The january muzzleloader/shotgun hunt over in hither hills was always fun as well, but mostly small deer and need a 4 wd to get up in there.  P.s., great summer bass fishing up there in the first big lake on your left  just up over the top.

I used to stay away from Rocky point as it was always crowded and mostly pine barrens with lots of other recreationists, cyclists and dog walkers, but that was years ago.

Wish you great luck!  The beauty of hunting LI is the great duck hunting and finding those little "honey holes" no one else bothers with!!

• Like 1

Know the land, know the animal.  Be able to predict what the animal would do if food source is gone in one area, if weather changes, etc.  Once you can predict where the animals will be, go to that area.  if it's a legal hunting area of course.

Thanks to all of you who have replied. I kinda figured that I would have to do some scouting, and from what little I have done, it seems Rocky Point would be somewhat crowded, I will try Sarnoff, and what makes hunting fun is finding the honey hole :)

I don't have any climbing experience, which I feel I need before I got out there in the dark and try to scale a tree, so for now, I am using a blind, but eventually I will get there. 

Does anyone have an opinion if deer around here like to move more in the morning or evening?

Thanks to all of you who have replied. I kinda figured that I would have to do some scouting, and from what little I have done, it seems Rocky Point would be somewhat crowded, I will try Sarnoff, and what makes hunting fun is finding the honey hole :)

I don't have any climbing experience, which I feel I need before I got out there in the dark and try to scale a tree, so for now, I am using a blind, but eventually I will get there.

Does anyone have an opinion if deer around here like to move more in the morning or evening?

Most will tell you they like to move when you are not around.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

• 4 weeks later...

I have been sticking to only hunting the cool weather, passing a lot of doe and small bucks. Hunted Monday morning out east and missed a nice 7pt at first light, couldn't stop him and rushed the shot. 30 minutes later I saw a doe in the distance and bleated to her and she ran right towards me. Took the shot at 15yds quartering away and it passed through out her left armpit, and right through the heart. She went about 30yds before falling over. First of many LI doe of the season, I will start laying them out when it gets colder. 100gr Slicktrick broadheads.

post-471-0-17472300-1447290490_thumb.jpe

post-471-0-72770300-1447290504_thumb.jpe

• Like 1