ANY REPORTS ON HITHER HILL

paddymac29

hard to ask guys about spots they hunt... even if they said yes or no could you beleive it? i think guys would like to think that not many guys hunt the public land they do and would deter people from hunting a spot if they could. If anyone said yes its great hunting over there, you can expect monkey see monkey do and have people flocking to that spot lol.

Opening day on HH I saw 4 deer. Two I kicked up bushwhacking a game trail, only saw tails & back legs. The third was a doe I saw moving though while I was walking a trail, drew my gun on it, then 'Kaboom!" Another hunter down over the ridge took a shot. Deer bolted away, so I dropped my gun to waist high, scannning for the other hunter.. Then,  from about 10 feet from where the other doe first was, a smaller doe bolts up,comes jumping & dodging through the woods, directly at me.  I shoulder the gun, and she notices me at 30 yards.. Full brakes stop, front legs out stiff, dropping low to the ground.. I hold her chest & let a shot go. She does a 180, then goes bounding uphill & over the ridge where the first doe went. I waited a bit, caught my breath, then went to where she was. There was about 4-5 handfulls of long white hair, but no blood/tissue. I followed the path she took, but no other signs of a hit.. I walked about the area for another 35 minutes. No signs of any hits, either deer, or which was more disturbing to me, the other hunter.. 

Checking out, they're was 2 does there, one 26 lbs (weighed) and the other looked about 70-80 lbs..

went out to hither hills for my hunt with my buddies yesterday. we had a group of 8 guys and did not have any luck, out of 8 guys only 1 saw 3 doe and could not get any shot. The weather was not very good its was very very windy which i am sure played a role in deer movement. when we went back to the check station after the hunt the deer that we saw that others had scored were very small (35lbs ). WELL GOOD LUCK TO EVERY FOR THE REST OF THE SEASON!!