Access and Game in Dutchess

mike rossi

This is a good. From what i've heard, since I live in Dutchess cty, is that there are abandon lots and quarry's that could be used for hunting. Cranberry mountain has just expanded within the last 2 yrs. Dover furnace shooting grounds was just bought out for 22million to build housing for rich people, parden my french. This will hurt the area and push the animals else where. If FWS had a chance to buy this, this would of been awesome. There is a lot going on here and I wish FWS the best of luck. With all the farms, they lease there land to make money. 

Interesting how the DEC all of a sudden has an interest in Dutchess, although they've done absolutely nothing to help bird species like the Ruffed Grouse in this area. The fact of the matter, is that it may be too little, too late. The Ruffed Grouse is gone from this area, along with a lot of other species, due to excessive development. The southwestern portion of Dutchess is shot. Although the eastern portion does have somewhat more woods, finding 1500 successive acres would be a challenge itself. With the exception of northern Dutchess, that's going to be a major task.

This is a good. From what i've heard, since I live in Dutchess cty, is that there are abandon lots and quarry's that could be used for hunting. Cranberry mountain has just expanded within the last 2 yrs. Dover furnace shooting grounds was just bought out for 22million to build housing for rich people, parden my french. This will hurt the area and push the animals else where. If FWS had a chance to buy this, this would of been awesome. There is a lot going on here and I wish FWS the best of luck. With all the farms, they lease there land to make money. 

There's not that many farms left in Dutchess. Years ago, there were 500 farms in Dutchess. Today, there are probably about 60. The high cost of living, and excessive taxes, have driven a lot of them out. Development, of course, is another factor. The only place I can come up with, that might be a viable area for this, would be Salt Point.

That's a good start. I've driven around the county alot and haven't seen a lot of places to purchase that would be a good place to buy. The best place to start would be the dirt rd off of chestnut ridge rd. Can't think of road right now.