Accessing DEP land

left field

The time is now. Scouting is a ton easier with snow cover. You can see every spot the deer have been in the past 3 weeks. Deer do different things and eat different things over the course of a year. However, you can judge a general area real good that way.

Best way to hunt these spots is with a Bow. The deer are much less pressured, and the best spots to hunt are generally bow only.

Also, check out the DEC's harvest data along with the DMP "doe tag" permit numbers.

Lots of archery shops in Nassau. They even have an outdoor public range at the big county park on the south end of the wantaugh parkway.

I see more deer with my bow than any other time during the hunting season.

Knowledge is key. People get lucky, folks who just grab a gun and sit in a mature forest with little for the animals to eat, all they got is luck. The guys who drag the deer out know the area by covering it during the offseason.

State parks with bow only, NYCD DEP land, and sterling forest is what I would give a try. I live in Greene and used ot live in Columbia. Public land is tough. DEC land has remained unchanged over many years. DEP lands open to hunting is relatively new and not known as well as state land.

Don't forget municipalities in westchester have deer hunting with a bow.

5 tips. Never tromp the woods, even if you think it's a losing battle to be quiet while you walk. More times than not, I see them on foot than I do waiting for them. Take a few steps then stop to hear. Your ears find them before your eyes usually. The other tip is south facing hills. The deer like to soak up the sun while they nap. 3rd tip deer are primarily browsers. The will hit a spot of acorns, but they also feed quite a bit on low lying branches of small trees and shrubs. They generally wander around to eat. They have trails, they have spots they like, but generally they are random. 4th tip, go for variety where you hunt. Transition areas between brush and field, brush and mature hardwoods have always been good for me. 5th tips, know how to shoot. There is no shooting benches in the woods. Practice how you will shoot. Standing up, leaning against a tree, sitting down, kneeling. Also, research the shot. First timers generally do not know where you should shoot a deer.

I just showed you the regulation.

In Westchester County and on Long Island it is illegal to use any rifle or crossbow for hunting, or to carry one afield

You are wrong about both.

From what I understand, you cannot use a gun (shotgun or rifle) or Xbow in Westchester for DEER. But for small game (maybe turkey too) you can use a shotgun.

Regarding Long Island, I believe they have a January shotgun season for deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

9 hours ago, shawnhu said:

You have no idea where I hunt, and who I know in the DEP.

It's probably best you stop spreading false information for others that want to learn to hunt the area.

Shotguns are allowed in Long Island and Westchester for small game.

Good luck with that when they catch you in westchester with a shotgun hunting  and you get jailed or fined  don't say I didn't  warn  you  post where It says you can hunt small game in westchester with a shot gun .

I showed you the regulations bow only means bow only !!! 

I have live in westchester for  over 40 years I think I would  know 

Only exception is duck hunting on long island sound .

13 minutes ago, LJC said:

Good luck with that when they catch you in westchester with a shotgun hunting  and you get jailed or fined  don't say I didn't  warn  you  post where It says you can hunt small game in westchester with a shot gun .

You ignore my above post. But you are wrong. People hunt LI for Deer with shotgun in January.

Regarding Westchester, you can use shotgun for small game only (not deer). 2 examples of this are highlighted in pink below.

Pic.jpg

21 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

You ignore my above post. But you are wrong. People hunt LI for Deer with shotgun in January.

Regarding Westchester, you can use shotgun for small game only (not deer). 2 examples of this are highlighted in pink below.

Pic.jpg

I hunt those places you can't go there with a gun try  and your going to jail body  don't even try it you don't want to get busted . I posted another link some one else ask this before .  

See the link I told you already that list is wrong those towns have discharge laws if you fire a gun you will get arrested overthere If someone reports you . 

ItS not worth the trouble you get one  home owner calling cops and you screwed there is no room there . Really all the signs show bow only on them btw in those places . Do you really want to cHance it ? Don't think so 

Edited by LJC

44 minutes ago, LJC said:

I hunt those places you can't go there with a gun try  and your going to jail body  don't even try it you don't want to get busted . I posted another link some one else ask this before .  

See the link I told you already that list is wrong those towns have discharge laws if you fire a gun you will get arrested overthere If someone reports you . 

ItS not worth the trouble you get one  home owner calling cops and you screwed there is no room there . Really all the signs show bow only on them btw in those places . Do you really want to cHance it ? Don't think so 

shotgun use for small game/turkey has always been legal in Westchester. google around and you will see articles from the 1980's 1990's etc.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

You are wrong about both.

From what I understand, you cannot use a gun (shotgun or rifle) or Xbow in Westchester for DEER. But for small game (maybe turkey too) you can use a shotgun.

Regarding Long Island, I believe they have a January shotgun season for deer.

Do your self a favor only gun hunt where the law  clearly states you can do so .

Those dep lands in westchester  if you go there the blue signs  show bow only on them . That's what matters. 

They  show  what you can use on the signs . Cop shows up first thing he is going to do is point out the sign on the property.  Now maybe you can talk your way out of it by showing him the website. 

But seriously do you really want to put yourself in that position don't think so .

Unless you happen to know someone in westchester with a 500 acre farm don't even bother the people that live around those dep lands  will call the cops on you . 

Goes to show age means nothing when it comes to being stubborn and uneducated about your local regulations. What a waste of those 40 years.

The link you posted addressed just that, shotguns being used for small game in Westchester County. You're so dense you don't even know what you are posting. Did you even look at the second page?

Do your self a favor only gun hunt where the law  clearly states you can do so .

Those dep lands in westchester  if you go there the blue signs  show bow only on them . That's what matters. 
They  show  what you can use on the signs . Cop shows up first thing he is going to do is point out the sign on the property.  Now maybe you can talk your way out of it by showing him the website. 
But seriously do you really want to put yourself in that position don't think so .

Unless you happen to know someone in westchester with a 500 acre farm don't even bother the people that live around those dep lands  will call the cops on you . 

I've hunted these properties with gun, and wave to officers on my way out with my gun. They wave back.

You need less than 10 acres to have 500' around you in all directions, don't need 500 acres.

So, what about that wager?

• Like 1

Het You can do anything you want anywhere you want till you get caught remember

In 40 yeaes living here never seen anyone hunt small game with a shotgun except in the sound .

Don't that tell you something no ok go find a place let me no those on the list don't allow it those towns don't allow any firearm discharge . 

4 minutes ago, LJC said:

In 40 yeaes living here never seen anyone hunt small game with a shotgun except in the sound .

Don't that tell you something no ok go find a place let me no those on the list don't allow it those towns don't allow any firearm discharge . 

I'm 32 and my whole life, I have known people to legally hunt in Westchester for turkey and small game with shotguns.

Here is a NY Times article from 1996 about it > http://www.nytimes.com/1996/11/10/nyregion/hunting-where-turkeys-run-wild.html

"Unlike hunting deer, where only bow-and-arrow shooting is permitted, turkeys can be hunted in Westchester County using a shotgun with shot or bow and arrow. The 12 gauge is usually the preferred weapon among turkey hunters because it can deliver enough punch in thick brush to kill a tom. As is the case with deer hunting, there is no public land where hunting is permitted in Westchester. It is done on private land, where hunters have been given permission to hunt by the landowners."

• Like 2

Either you're really that dense, or you're an internet troll. Either way, please stop misleading others to the wrong information. New hunters shouldn't have to deal with your stubbornness to admit when you're wrong on many counts.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, shawnhu said:

there will be no shot guns used on the preserve for the taking of any wild life. Hunting will be restricted to deer and turkey except for falconers holding a valid NYSDEC falconry license pursuing small game in the appropriate season. Hunters will be restricted to the use of a bow for turkey?

I said in public land dep land 

On private property that is  different story you still need to have enough space 500 feet and neighbors can't complain o

And that's  20 years ago article town   laws change 

Edited by LJC

Keep changing the story.

You went from no firearms in Westchester.... to no shotguns in Westchester, and now the story is no shotguns on DEP property, but it's ok for private. You went from 500 acres, to 500' now. Keep changing it up, you look credible for sure.

Oh, can't forget that you said there was no public land in Westchester, now all of a sudden, there is public land. Things sure change fast, only in your mind.

So, wager?

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, shawnhu said:

Keep changing the story.

You went from no firearms in Westchester.... to no shotguns in Westchester, and now the story is no shotguns on DEP property, but it's ok for private. You went from 500 acres, to 500' now. Keep changing it up, you look credible for sure.

Oh, can't forget that you said there was no public land in Westchester, now all of a sudden, there is public land. Things sure change fast, only in your mind.

So, wager?

Go find a place in westchester that lets you hunt with guns  and get back to me.

I will be waiting  a long time lol  

17 minutes ago, LJC said:

Go find a place in westchester that lets you hunt with guns  and get back to me.

I will be waiting  a long time lol  

I never have, but I know many people who hunt squirrels and turkey in Westchester with shotguns.  regarding town laws, I live in Yorktown Heights and below is the rule. I don't have the space, but if someone has a few acres and permission from a neighbor(s), it is perfectly legal.

§ 213-10 Firearms.

... . ] No person shall allow, permit or cause any firearms to be discharged in, over or into a Town park or ... be a violation of this provision to discharge a firearm within the scope of an official ceremonial functi ...
[Added 2-2-1999 by L.L. No. 1-1999[1]]
A. 
No person shall allow, permit or cause any firearms to be discharged in, over or into a Town park or recreational facility or within 500 feet of any Town park.

B. 
It shall not be a violation of this provision for a peace officer to discharge his/her weapon within the scope of his/her official duties, nor shall it be a violation of this provision to discharge a firearm within the scope of an official ceremonial function.
  • Like 1

Also, here is the current regs for woodcock hunting. Clearly, Westchester is listed.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/45568.html

People hunt woodcock only with bows? lol.

Yes, some towns (I believe Hastings-on-Hudson) do not allow gun use, but many many others do.

Greenburg also has an ordinance against discharge, essentially banning hunting unless with falconry.

It's clear that LJC has no idea what he's talking about, regardless of how many times he repeats himself, or avoids putting money where his mouth is.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, shawnhu said:

Greenburg also has an ordinance against discharge, essentially banning hunting unless with falconry.

It's clear that LJC has no idea what he's talking about, regardless of how many times he repeats himself, or avoids putting money where his mouth is.

Good luck finding a place to hunt with a gun in westchester all I can say lol have fun in prison 

1 hour ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Also, here is the current regs for woodcock hunting. Clearly, Westchester is listed.

Yes, some towns (I believe Hastings-on-Hudson) do not allow gun use, but many many others do.

Just because  westchester is listed for woodcock does not mean you can do it with a shotgun .

You can't cherry pick the law it don't work that way . But hey when they arrest you, you can have fun paying the lawyer to litigate  your  case .

Look you can hunt rabbits in the Bronx I found the link .lol 

I guess that means you can use shotgun in the Bronx now to right lol its on the Dec Web site they have a open season for It  guess your be hunting out your window overthere to right lol 

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/29449.html

Edited by LJC

28 minutes ago, LJC said:

Good luck finding a place to hunt with a gun in westchester all I can say lol have fun in prison 

I just showed you that you can legally hunt in Yorktown Heights with a gun. Again, I don't hunt in Westchester so it doesn't matter to me. No point in going back and forth. Call an ECO if you want the real answer.

1 hour ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Just because  westchester is listed for woodcock does not mean you can do it with a shotgun .

You can't cherry pick the law it don't work that way . But hey when the arrest you, you can have fan paying the lawyer to litigate  your  case .