Camp style pasta and sauce.......................

Last night I was lookin' for something a little different to put on the table, being a single dad and cookin' for two kids all the time I like to mix it up a bit to keep the boredom & complaining to a min.

I decided to run with pasta and sauce with a little twist.......................I started out with a 10qt. cast iron dutch oven, added @ 3T olive oil and one coursely chopped onion. one red bell pepper chopped,3 garlic cloves & a lb. of fresh baby portabella mushrooms sliced..........saute'd until cooked through.

I didn't have any hamburger in the house so I decided to add some venison into the mix..................when I process my deer, I use the larger pieces of frt. shoulder meat (taken off the scapula bone) as a "pepper steak" cut, I use it for stir fry, stroganoff, etc. Well, last night I took out about 2 lbs and thin sliced(1/8" thick) the entire package, I dusted it with a seasoning mixture (made and stored in an airtight container for future use) 2 parts salt, 1 part blk pepper & garlic powder, then cover with a light coat of flour.

I removed the onion mixture and bumped the heat up to high, added 2T oil until the pot started to smoke then in went the venison to sear/brown quickly, as soon as it was all browned, I dumped the onion mixture back into the pot and stirred all together. I then added one jar of pasta sauce(home style) and a small can of diced tomatoes, simmered for @ 15 mins. while the pasta cooked.

Served with garlic bread and tossed salad..................................

My son, who is not a big sauce eater, had seconds and commented on making "that" again.

FDXX75