Fishing in the Cold and Wind

coonhunter

All I can say is wow! Glad I had a shanty and heater today. It was brutal out there. I had to go out once in awhile to free up my tip ups or to drill some holes to get back on the fish. The wind was blowing 20 and gusting 30+ to go with a whopping 12 degrees. I was in full coveralls, good boots and socks, and full facemask. Just being out in the weather for 5-10 minutes and having your hands exposed was bad enough to make your fingers burn when I got back to the shanty and heater.

Wish I could tell you it was a great day, but it wasn't for my brother and me. We had to get through a lot of small fish to get the half dozen nice perch we caught on jigging rods. And the tip ups produced a couple nice bass and a few pickerel. But, and it is a big but, it still was nice being out on the lake with my brother and his lady friend instead of working. Now, I work tomorrow and then have 5 more days off that will be spent on some lakes in our area in even colder weather, but the wind is supposed to not be as bad. Hopefully we can get on a good bunch of crappie or some more big perch.

• Like 2