Wanted: Unfortunate, irritating and sometimes disastrous tales from the boat launch

Wanted: Unfortunate, irritating and sometimes disastrous tales from the boat launch8 May 2011, 5:54 amMost every boater owner has been there. We’re talking about those unfortunate, irritating and sometimes disastrous beginning-of-the-year troubles and situations that happen at the marina or state boat launch. Such incidents usually peak on Memorial Day or the Fourth of...Source: Outdoors Blog

I used to be a big salt water fisherman along with my brother. We both had 21 foot cuddy cabins that had some weight behind them. One little mistake and disaster could strike. The Port Jefferson  ramp was so dangerous at low tide. I saw one rig slide right into the abyss boat truck and trailer. The ramp on the right side was the worst. I was launching my boat at low tide and just got it moving off the trailer. For some reason I hit the brake on the power winch and my whole rig started to slide down the ramp. It was frightening! A quick response and I turned the break off and the truck stopped just short of going over the edge. Yes I did have chocks under the tires! Damn ramp was so slippery.