My Crossbow.. Dont hate me

work2hunt

I live in pa. {but mostly hunt in ny} i have had a crossbow for 3 yrs and only hunted with it once , i hate it ,its bulky and heavy and no more accurate than my old bear compound, and if you use a climber it better be one with a shooting rail.

I have to laugh to myself when u see guys posting that it can kill a deer at 50 yds plus, maybe they can but i know guys that use them all the time and their kill ratio is know better than using a compound,and if u have a bum shoulder like i do ,without a cocking device their damn near impossible to load save urselfs some money and stay with your compound

I'll give you that point they are awkward and take getting used to, just like anything else. But like a compound you need to experiment with different arrows/bolts, field tips, and broadheads. Then again you may have gotten a faulty one from the dealer. I know I'm a lot more accurate with it than my compound (2004 pse Nova), for one, I can use a rest. Just as you said the shooting rail, or tree, because it is awkward, and front heavy.

And your right cocking them by hand is not just extremely hard it is also not recommended. All you have to do is look at the mechanics of them. It is vitually impossible to pull back evenly (everyone favors one arm or the other), and with angle of the string would require you overdraw it to allow room for your fingers. Which could damage the limbs, or cams.

But like a lot of guys using a muzzleloader over a shotgun or rifle for the "challenge". I think a lot of guys may end up preferring a crossbow than a gun. And who knows you may open up new hunting opportunities in the future closer to urban settings, without disturbing the residents. There seems to be a real surge in the urban bowhunting scene, and bowhunting only areas. If DEC opens crossbows to archery seasons.

I think I'm gonna prefer using it instead, for it's relative quietness. Who knows maybe I'll be able to get more deer due to not shooting a firearm during gun season.

Edited by Tim Martin

I use a rope cocker, which wraps around the stock, and goes through two hooks with built in pulleys,that grab the string. I believe in essence, it cuts the draw weight to about 1/4 to 1/2 the actual draw weight.

My personal comfort zone right now would be about 35-40 yards.