Mount repair

Fantail

Got an mount a few years old, the ears are splitting apart. I would like to get this fixed if possible. Thought maybe I could use glue & some clamps but if I try to press an ear back together it feels like it'll break. Gut who did the work is gone, would any taxidermist be able to fix this?

Your ears drummed due to over sized earliners, not fully turned etc.... The ear will need to be rehydrate (wrapped in a damp to moist cloth for a period of time) , so it is flexible and not brittle. But doing this would require care and time or you could get hair slippage. If the hide was DP'd and not tanned you will most likely run into problems in doing this. After the ear is re-hydrated it will require a good 2 part epoxy adhesive which can be picked up at any hardware store. It looks to me you have plenty of space to get the adhesive behind the ear.

Once the adhesive is in spread evenly and close ear. Now you will card the ear with cardboard by placing the cardboard on the outside of the ear. Get some of those carpenter spring clamps they use and clamp that ear down.

There is no guarantee that this fix will be permanent but should hold for some time.

Good luck !