Got One Day After Opening Day !

pawle76

Second morning of Gun Season in 4R Westkill about 8:30 am I picked up movement out of the right side of my pop up blind 75-80 yards out. Looked through the binos and saw that it was a good buck. Fumbled around in the blind trying to get my rifle and my shooting stick, got him in my scope and had a head on shot. I saw a lot of little limbs and sticks so I waited until he turned broadside found what I thought was a hole in the brush settled the crosshair in right behind the shoulder and squeezed the trigger. He then ran in a semi-circle out in front of my blind still about 75 yards and stopped ! I must've hit a branch because I missed. The wind was gusting and I think he wasn't sure where the shot came from. Unfortunately he stopped right behind a cluster of trees and all I could see in my scope was his ass and tail. So I found a clear shooting lane right in front of him and waited for him to move. He started to walk the way he was headed and when I saw his chest fill my scope I squeezed and saw him hunch and mule kick. He spun around and headed right back to where I first saw him running low to the ground tail down between his legs. I knew I hit him yet it looked like he was going to run out of the county. So I found a nice clear spot where I thought he was headed to get another round in him. Just as I was going to shoot he piled up lick someone turned off his switch. He was down. That morning going in I was late getting to my blind and I had to walk through 5 hunters. Somehow this buck made it by all those hunters to me. I still don't know how that happened. I got him on DEP land. His G3 on his left side is broken off .

post-1207-0-51191800-1322575228_thumb.jp

post-1207-0-34610400-1322575265_thumb.jp

post-1207-0-52548300-1322575294_thumb.jp

post-1207-0-77482700-1322575339_thumb.jp

post-1207-0-32451500-1322575405_thumb.jp