Squirrel hunting in the greater Capital District area

This may seem like a silly question, but where are all the greys out in the woods? I can have 15 the size of house cats crawling in my lawn, vehicles and other personal property but when I go out in the field the only thing I can find are sketchy little reds. I swear they have strictly migrated into the suburbs, and I suppose who can blame them.

For being out on the hunt, Ive mostly been over to the state land on Ushers Road, Wilton Parcell 45 and been looking to scout Black Creek Marsh, Capital District WMA in Rensselaer county and last but not least the heavily regulated Pine Bush reserve for more opportunities.

Any other small game hunters in the area have any suggestions? If I could only convince the foks in the neighborhood to let me snipe with an air gun in and around the neighborhood, I could probably take a limit everyday till the end of the season and I doubt it would put a dent in the population...

Squirrels in the city/suburbs have adapted to life around people lack of predators. So much so they actually come towards you begging for food because neighbors around me feed them. Not the case in the woods where they're constantly being chased by coyotes and hawks. Go on sunrise and an hour or so before sunset. That's when they come out to feed. Then hide there and be super quiet. They heard you a mile away. Make them think you're gone and it's safe to come back out and eat.

I actually see quite alot of squirrels when Im out in the the woods, but all Im seeing is all red squirrels in my area, and not one grey. I find it hard to believe that tactics of either sitting still for some time or trying to flush them will only produce reds. I guess what Im looking for from someone in my area to confirm this trend of greys to mostly suburban areas due to most of the public hunting areas close to large populations of humans.