Esopus Creek Trout Study being released

NY Region 3 Trapper

• 2 weeks later...

I am biting my tongue and holding back on how I really feel about this. Didn't need a major study to know that the Esopus is no longer the fabled stream it use to be. And it has been in ongoing lasting deterioration over a long period of time. I have been a die hard flyfisher on the Esopus for the past 30 years. And it is not even a shadow of it's former self. Prior to the January Thaw Winter Flood of 1995. Prior to that time all of the fish caught averaged 10-12 -13 inches, after that time it was pretty dead for a couple of years, then started to come back in 1998-99 with a lot of "native" fingerling 5-6 inch rainbows. By then of course the local industry changed and choose to support the local "tube" hatcheries and Kayakers, so no one cared about the water flow coming out of the portal, in fact they wanted it for the Kayakers and tubers. Although, we all knew it was further detrimental to the trout. The Esopus with that and the increased releases from the Schoharie have turned the bottom of the creek into red mud, which cannot support the once vibrant wild rainbow trout population. Over the past two years I have had just as many encounters with DEC Cornell Surveyers as I had with Trout. Such a shame.. The DEC had the power to due a lot more and did almost nothing. As far as a trout fishery other than the put and take stockies - it is a dead fishery..

Edited by SteveMcD

I hear ya . been fishing it for about ten years. I see the changes. Speaking of tubers I usually fish below Phoenicia. Decided to go above to escape them. I find a nice spot, everythings going good. Lost one in deep pool. I'm about to do the I'm an ass for losing it dance and I hear a bunch of people coming my way its tubers. About 15 of them. they go through most went around me but there's always one moron who can't steer and I had to push him off. I gave up and went home.

Wow... All of the above is so sads to hear! I used to fish the Esopus quite a bit in the late 80's thru mid 90's with my cousin (before I married). It was such a fantastic place to fish back then, both above and below the portal. I've had intentions to bring my kids up there for a day, but now it sounds like I'd be wasting their time. Damn!

The Esopus may not be what it use to be, but then again.. What Is? I still fish it, mostily well below the 5 Arches Bridges and usually between the tressle and the chimney hole. I have fished this creek my entire adult life and taught my son's to flyfish here. Old habits die hard and memories never die. I will always return here, even if it is just a customary habit.

Based upon DEC Fish Biologist study that I read. Flooding although obviously must have some effect. Most fish are able to ride out floods behind boulders, underwater obstructions, underneath creek and river banks. I believe the damage to the stream beds in relation to spawning is a whole other story.

Edited by SteveMcD