Grilled Tater Skins - Go Giants!

CDN

One more last minute idea for Super Bowl Parties!!

IMG_7436.jpg

These need no introduction...just need to be eaten!!!

What you'll need:

Baking size potatoes

Olive Oil

Fresh cracked black pepper

Shredded cheddar cheese

Shredded mozzarella cheese

Bacon, crumbled

Chopped scallions

Chopped chives

Sour cream

Old WoodFire Grill KK's 10 BBQ Rub or Big Green Egg Seasoning

Aluminum foil

Start by baking the potatoes, getting the grill or smoker going with a cooking fire at around 350 to 400 degrees. Or, if you are already smoking something, such as ribs as I was in this particular cook, you can go with a 250 degree fire, it will just take longer to get the potatoes baked. Wash the potatoes, stab them a couple of times with a knife or fork, coat in olive oil and cover with a light coating of fresh cracked black pepper. Wrap the potato up in aluminum foil and place on the grill. You want cook them indirect, not over the coals or flame. If you are cooking at 350-400 degrees they will take about 1 hour. At 250, it will take about 1 3/4 - 2 hours to get them done.

IMG_7407.jpg

Once the potatoes have finished baking, bring them in and slice them in half. Using a spoon, or even better, a kitchen utensil such as an ice cream scoop, carefully scoop out the middle, leaving about a 1/8 inch remaining around the edges and the bottom. Save the middle portion to be used as mashed potatoes or a variety of other applications that call for baked or mashed potatoes. Fill the center with the shredded cheeses, and sprinkle with the bbq rub. I used Big Green Egg seasoning for this cook, as it is a little more salty tasting than my rub, which I like on potatoes. But use what you like. The idea is to get a little flavor on the tater skins.

IMG_7423.jpg

IMG_7424.jpg

Place the loaded potatoes in an aluminum pan or on a cookie sheet and put them back on the grill or smoker. Let them cook until the cheese has melted and the crust around the edges is starting to brown up and get firm. The amount of time that this takes will depend on the temperature that you are running, so just keep an eye on them.

IMG_7428.jpg

When they are done on the grill or smoker, bring them in and top off with one more sprinkle of bbq rub, the crumbled bacon, chopped scallions and chopped chives. Serve with fresh sour cream and enjoy!

IMG_7435.jpg