Controlled Burns in 1A

Pav2704

I mean 1c

I was heading back from home depot this morning and I noticed that there looked like there was a controlled burn in one of the fields that attaches to state land along rocky point road. Did anybody here of this? Is DEC going to actually do something beneficial for the wildlife and possibly plant in this field?

As I got out of my car to check it out I noticed that there was a flock of turkeys at the opposite end of the field. There had to be about ten toms!! I managed to get within about 25 yards of them from along the woodline to take some pictures. The pictures aren't the best... I had to use my cell phone. Too bad turkey season wasnt open here in Long Island!!!post-1950-0-42197400-1336850222_thumb.jppost-1950-0-21596900-1336850241_thumb.jppost-1950-0-16826800-1336850250.jpg

Edited by Pav2704

Its possible it was just a brush fire. Either way it should be beneficial and generate some new growth. Is this the field by Whiskey and Rocky Point Rd.? If it is, I have seen both deer and turkeys in that field in the past.

Edited by RichZ7

several years ago I contacted the DEC about possibly getting a permit to do a burn at my cousins farm, the guy I was talking to said the chances of getting a controlled burn permit were between slim and none, and that unless it was an "accidental" fire you couldnt do it, not without fines and other associated grief