Got acorns and apples...

blackradio

Hung a stand today and did some scouting while I checked my cams. Ventured out in the big field for the first time since winter (the grass and weeds are about 8' tall in spots and a nightmare to walk through.) In the middle of the field I noticed a white oak tree and sure enough, went up to it and there are acorns on it (albeit small). Also, in this field there are about a dozen old apple trees, most of which do not have apples this year but the apple tree right next to the white oak does have some apples on it. There is also quite a few trees with what looks like blueberries on them, but I know they aren't blueberries. Anyone know what they are? Wondering if deer like them. They are loaded with fruit.

So naturally, I was thinking of where I can put a stand but there is no big trees close enough to the apple and oak tree and a ground blind would be hard because the grass and weeds are so damn tall and thick. Might be able to get a stand in the oak tree itself. Also wondering if all the acorns and apples will drop before the season even starts.

Pics below. Any insight? Thanks

post-568-0-52734400-1409602953_thumb.jpg

post-568-0-72122900-1409603031_thumb.jpg

post-568-0-27106400-1409603128_thumb.jpg

post-568-0-45429300-1409603233_thumb.jpg

post-568-0-87629200-1409603334_thumb.jpg

Edited by blackradio

if they are indeed black chokeberries(aronia), they're still edible. They're tart which is why they get the "choke" name.

Hey at least you're weighing your options. If nothing else, you could hang an observation stand and figure when they're visiting the oak/apples. If you're up to it, you could go swing a sickle for a few hours to create a path(ambush spot) and maybe a strategically placed scrape. Good luck.

Find any good fungi lately? I haven't been out since picking 5lbs of chanterelles in July. Now's the time for hens and chickens.

if they are indeed black chokeberries(aronia), they're still edible. They're tart which is why they get the "choke" name.

Hey at least you're weighing your options. If nothing else, you could hang an observation stand and figure when they're visiting the oak/apples. If you're up to it, you could go swing a sickle for a few hours to create a path(ambush spot) and maybe a strategically placed scrape. Good luck.

Find any good fungi lately? I haven't been out since picking 5lbs of chanterelles in July. Now's the time for hens and chickens.

Yeah I'll have to figure something out. Thinking about putting a hang on up in the oak tree but I think I will throw a cam out there this week to see if they are even feeding on these trees.