Hunting elevation

Chef

I know a lot of people here hunt state parks many of which have different levels of elevation within the park, for me personally I like to hunt the low lying areas during bow season. I then move up into the hills to try and hit pinch points once the orange army comes out. How does everyone here feel about hunting the different elevations and where do you find you have the most success. During rifle season I also find hunting from the ground on a steep ridge gives me a great vantage point without having to hike in my climber.

Very rarely has hunting low in valleys (not talking large valleys, talking ridge, vally, ridge) been successful for me. Oftentimes youll see good deer/sign but most conditions make it difficult to overcome. Its often known as a hunters trap because of that. Swirling winds and thermals can wreck havoc.

Not an absolute, but pretty close to it.

I prefer to get above the thermal tunnel if possible to take advantage of any trails bucks take.

Edited by phade

i agree with phade, i really don't like to bowhunt low spots bc the wind can do some weird things in valleys. I like the consistency of the thermals and the wind you get on top of ridges, and honestly i feel the bigger deer do too. I actually will get down into some on the lowland swamps though,  later into gun season once theirs good tracking snow 

I agree about the ridge lines and funnels creating wind traps, but what about parks that have smaller mountains, does anyone actually climb to higher elevations to hunt.

We hunt a park bordering property with smaller mountains/ridges. I'd say 9/10 places you'd want to set up in the bottom will end up hurting your chances. There is the right place once in a while, but not very often. You have to get above the thermal tunnel and try to find places to get them from above.