Looking to lease property in Cayuga county ?

Im looking to lease land in Cayuga county(southern part) and was wondering how the hunting is their? I was in Madison county and lost my lease to the farmer selling! SUCKS..... I know that some counties are better and some worse, but was hoping I could get a few answers from the forum guys/girls. I'm not looking for Steuben county bucks,(would be nice)but I don't want to waste my time either if that makes sense.

Thanks Again

• 2 months later...

I own a 900sq. foot 1BR co-op in Westchester County that I paid $200K for. My taxes are just under $4K a year.

The condo's across the street are $350-$600K for 1-2BR, with taxes around $9K.

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

Sam...what would be the point of leasing if they aren't going to at the very least cover the taxes...now even if it is higher than the taxes for "vacant land" they are in business and from what I can see not gouging...and from the sounds of it fairly liberal on what they allow on the properties...unlike owning...if you don't find the area productive you can leave.... know big deal....selling is a whole other story if things aren't good....

I own a 900sq. foot 1BR co-op in Westchester County that I paid $200K for. My taxes are just under $4K a year.

Sounds like here in Southern Dutchess. Average price of a home here, is about $700,000 and up. The older ones are damn expensive also. People down here would love to pay just $180,000 for a home.

Ya But I bet ppl down there are on a much high pay scale...like our daughter said...Mom I could be working closer to NYC and getting way more than what I make now for what I do....but I'd also be spending that extra money just to be able to survive down there...braking even or being below what I am now

Ya But I bet ppl down there are on a much high pay scale...like our daughter said...Mom I could be working closer to NYC and getting way more than what I make now for what I do....but I'd also be spending that extra money just to be able to survive down there...braking even or being below what I am now

Yup, and vice-versa....I get tempted to move upstate, but then I wouldn't be able to afford to go on 5 hunting trips this year where I need to fly.

Sam...what would be the point of leasing if they aren't going to at the very least cover the taxes...now even if it is higher than the taxes for "vacant land" they are in business and from what I can see not gouging...and from the sounds of it fairly liberal on what they allow on the properties...unlike owning...if you don't find the area productive you can leave.... know big deal....selling is a whole other story if things aren't good....

GrowaLot,

You are right.

Our average property taxes (town/county and school) is just shy of $20/ac this year, so the leasing program is a break-even deal for us. Our main business is growing hardwood timber, the hunting leases help us make this long term investment work.

Bob

That actually sounds like a great deal....I know what taxes are in that area....We have 63+ acres in the Alfred area and a small camp...the taxes are over 4,000 a year

Welcome to Allegany co. Where the tax rate to home value ratio is 3rd highest in the nation last time i checked. I sold my place last fall. Assessed at 79,000 with a 4,200 tax bill.

Ya Biz...that's why our daughter is having a hard time buying a house....Corning to Ithaca the taxes are crazy on a decent 180,000 home...and that's just a modest home for that price....One can afford a mortgage...just not the taxes to keep it...

I feel her pain. I have a good job and pay but either my wife has to go back to work (stay at home mom with 4 kids) or i need a second job.

An assessment of 350K around here will get you between a 11,900$ (at the low end) and 25,900$ tax bill.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow those taxes are unreal! We live in northern cayuga county. We have a 4 bedroom house, farm with 5 barns/sheds, and 100 acres of land, and our taxes combined are.......you ready.....$5,000! I couldn't imagine paying that much in taxes. But, there are people I work with that pay 10k-14k a year for an acre or less. Not to mention, I'm part of a hunting club (8 guys) that leases ~700 acres in Oswego county for $2500 a year. Now granted the bucks aren't the biggest and the deer population isn't the greatest, but we always shoot deer. And every 2-4 years we shoot a really good buck for the area.

NYARCHER76- I know you said southern cayuga, but have you looked at Cortland county? That's not too far from southern Cayuga. Check with gutchess tree farm right in Cortland, here is the link:

http://www.gutchess.com/forestry_services.aspx

Scroll to the bottom where it says recreational leases. That is who we lease our property from. Might be worth a call.

your talking about a house though. I am talking about owning a co-op or condo in an apartment building.

I am talking about comparing a property value to the effective tax rate. Unless you get a tax break for being a condo whats the difference.

http://interactive.taxfoundation.org/propertytax/

Taxes paid as a percentage of median home value (rank out of 806 counties)

Allegany co. - 4

Cayuga co. - 13

Westchester - 102

Now if your talking about what you get for your money that is an entirely different story.