Sterling Forest Orange OC.

mac

people's thoughts on this public area for bow or rifle?? I was there years ago but wanted to know about people's experiences more recently. I know to still get the special permit but have they changed the accessibility at all? probably stil overcrowded..

If you are willing to hike a ways away from the road there are some good spots. Also, there are some decent spots along orange turnpike that you can access and does not get as crowded. I would only recommend going there during bow season. Rifle season is a complete zoo, with no shortage of people with no etiquitte or safety standards. I hate this kind of situation so I avoid during rifle. THe only time I have gone during rifle is when we do some deer drives late in the season.

• Like 1

I have been hunting Sterling Forest for the last 5 or so years only during the gun season and I have not expeirenced any unpleasent or unsafe hunters except for one time.

The only time I felt unsafe was one Saturday morning near the end of the season when a bunch of jerks did a deer drive (sorry Joe12 if you were one of them). They marched up the entire hillside and there was shooting all over the place. Sounded like a bunch of rabbit hunters. There were 3 of us posted on different hillsides and these guys marched right thru our areas like they owned the place and we were tresspassers. They came busting by and would look at us and see us and just keep on duing what they pleased reguardless of how it effected our hunt.

I can understand a deer drive on private land but not on state land.

Most hunters I have meet are encouraging and helpful.

Deer sightings are slim. As an example, last year I hunted 8 days and saw a total of 5 deer. Three of those were on opening day.

If you haven't hunted there for a while be advised that 1/2 of the park has an antler restriction.

Also, last year the ticks were very bad. So keep checking yourself.

There are some nice bucks in the park. I saw (what I what I would call) a really nice one on the powerline opening day and he was spotted again by other hunters the last weekend of the season.

2 years ago the were about 100 deer taken (about 50/50 bucks to does) and 8 bears.

Last year thwere were about 75 deer taken (50 bucks, 25 does) and 3 bears.

My numbers are not exact but it gives you and idea.

I wish you all the best in this years hunt.

• Like 1

Wasn't us Warren :). We usually hike a mile or 2 in before we start our drives to get away from all the guys that hunt a few hundred yards from the road. Also, we usually sit for the morning on private land, then don't meet up for drives until mid-day at the earliest.

Joe12

I'm quite sure it wasn't you. The guys I saw were what I call slob hunters. I doubt that any of those guys would even be on a site like this. This was a large group of maybe 15 to 20 guys pushing the entire mountian. It ocurred a few years ago on Hog Mtn just off Ironwood Dr. We were on the top of the hill (which I don't consider being far back from the road) at sun up and those guys came crashing thru making all kinds of noise at about 7:30AM.

I've been deer hunting over 40 years and that was the most uncomfortable I have even been.

A few guys pushing deer is always good for everyone hunting that day, get the deer up and moving, but what i expeirenced was way too unsafe.

wow that sounds terrifying! This is my second year and i recently applied for the permit to hunt there opening day. What can i expect and what time should i arrive at the park opening day to get a spot? Do they assign you one? I have never hunted opening day on state land and i am a little spooked. I was at stuart last year with a crossbow and someone was doing a drive all i heard were tons of gun shots scared the shit out of me! Which lot # would you recommend where i can hike in a few miles to get away from the other hunters? thanks guys feel free to send me a message with your thoughts on this...

• Like 1