Sterling state Forest

AaronBlaine

check out the access points from orange turnpike. Are you asking about bow season or rifle season? Doesnt seem to get as much pressure as other areas, especially during bow. I saw a real nice buck on that road this past weekend. I would definitely do some scouting along there.

thanks a lot man im talking about rifle havent gotten into bow hunting yet unfortunately next year its on. What is opening day like during rifle season? Do i need to get there friday night just to sleep in my car to hunt sat morning? What is a good time to arrive? I was thinking of driving up friday night and just passing out untill 4 then heading out into the woods. Thanks for your time!

i never hunted there opening day, only have done some drives a few afternoons towards the end of rifle season. I would definitely check out the spots along orange turnpike though - its out of the way from the rest of the park, so I would think you could find a decent spot there. It's not like stuart where only 1 person can park per spot. You just park along the road there. During rifle there are always a few trucks, but nothing out of control (at least not along on orange turnpike). If you get there by 430 I think you should be good. There are a few hotels in the area you could stay at if you didnt want to sleep in the truck. I know the area well, so let me know if you have any other questions.

• Like 1

So basically you just pull right off the highway wherever you would like and walk right in?! interesting and i wont get my car ticketed? Do i have to check in if i already have the permit from mailing in the 5 bucks? Do i leave it on my dashboard incase the green giants come by? Or carry it on me? Thanks a lot for your help if you ever wanna get a hunt on let me know!!

• Like 1

No need to get there the night before. We usually arrive between 5 and 5:30 and have an hour hike to our spots.

Just in case you aren't aware of it, be advised that you need a hunting permit and you need to do it before Sept 30th to be able to hunt the opening weekend.

We hunt the sothern end of the park but we have had reasonable success off of Ironwood road. I've taken a few does there and my brother-in-law missed a bear.

I would suggest you find an area near some thick cover or natural funnel and try to stay there all day on opening day. 2 years ago I had a nice 8 point wander past me at 11:30 only to spot me as I was putting on an extra sweater.

Once you get in about a 1/2 mile or so and wander off the fire roads you should not be bothered by other hunters.

• Like 1

Also,you should def. look into hunting west point. You are a vet so I believe that you would have access. From LI, it isn't much farther than Sterling Forest. I never hunted there but people have told me that there are a ton of deer, and I would guess that it wouldn't be as crowded as Sterling. Not sure what you have to do to get a permit etc.

That's a good suggestion, joe12, I had forgotten about West Point. It's been a few years since I hunted there.

If I remember right, they have the area sectioned off with limited access to each section. You need to check in and select an area that is not full and check out when you are done hunting.

This might give you more info

http://www.ocshooters.com/Hunt/West-Point/west-point.htm

Thanks a lot guys! I sent away for my permit already and i am awaiting its arrival. Thanks for the info warren i will def consider west point later in the season but when i get my heart set on a spot i have to see it through. The idea of coming across a bear drives me crazy! I will put the permit on my dashboard and i will make sure to hike in a few miles in order to get deep enough in the park to avoid other hunters. I am in great shape from work and exercise so the hike sounds like a walk in the park ha haaa . No i have put together some decent gear including my old marine corps cammies. I was thinking of going to a local park near by and scooping up a bunch of a corns to put in a bin to store my clothes with. I got the idea of scent prevention using natural methods from another member on this site and i think its a great idea. I figure if i am going to mask my scent i might as well do it with something they might be attracted towards! I am so glad i joined this sight everyone has been so helpful. There is no way i would have gotten this kind of information on my own. I once knew a brotherhood in the USMC but there is def a brotherhood among hunters as well!

If your planning to hunt in Sterling or West Point then storing your cloths in corn may not be the best idea. There are not too many corn fields in those area. A better choice might be storing your hunting cloths in leaves and/or pine needles.

I usually just wash my cloths and hang them outside most rain free days.

The smell of corn might be a strange smell to the deer back in the hills.

No matter what you do, it all comes down to wind direction.

Yea i think your right the pine needles may be a better idea due to food source location. I got a wind tester so i will do everything i can to stay down wind. I have been writing down notes on everyones posts in a notebook which i will be taking with me. I feel the more info i learn about this amazing sport the better my chances of success are going to be! So thanks again guys!

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Hey guys i was wondering if anyone out there has hunted sterling state forest and if so where the hot spots were, what to expect on opening day, what time to arrive on opening day to get a spot, stories, etc....

Going tomorrow for my permit and then bowhunting Opening day and Thursday, super amped. I've hiked there a bunch but never hunted. Huge place, and closer than Catskills for me (NYC), just an hour drive. Rock and roll!

Edited by Futuretrash

I hunted SF for 10 years when I lived in GWL. Did most of my bowhunting in the Clinton woods area off 17a. Killed a few deer, turkeys and a bear. Gets hit hard in gun season though.

Been some changes since then but you got a green pkg pass for your car and a small permit to carry on you.

A good and overlooked area of SF is the access point on Candle rd off W. Mombasha rd in Monroe, lots of deer and bear up there but its off the main rd so youd  probably wanna scout it out before opening day so you can find it and get a feel of the terrain. 

Hunted West point couple times, didnt care for it, you needed a 3p doe tag and have to shoot a doe and check it before you can take a buck. Cant hunt opening day unless youre military and by the time you check in and get to your spot its at least 1/2 hour after sun up. You also dont know where youre gonna hunt until you check in and unless youre there super early all the best spots are taken. Not sure about now but then you couldnt shoot a bear either.

Edited by Mike DBH
  • Like 1

COME ONE MIKE!!! Lets not talk about the little known spots!! :nono::D

I have only actually gone up there once, this spring turkey hunting when I found the access point. Its not a huge tract of land that you can hunt off Candle Rd though. There is another chunk of huntable land right near there that is inaccessible. Its surrounded by private land, and the only public access is via the Appalachian trail. Since your not allowed to have firearms, even unloaded, on the trail you cannot access that way either. No one at Sterling has been able to tell me how to legally access the spot.

Clinton Rd has a lot of guys because it is easy to access, one of the spots I have seen a few guys so I avoid it.

Hey, how are you! I did! A doe actually I spotted her while I was walking up the gravel road. I was able to slip off into some cover and wait for her to give me a good shot. Wound up hitting her at about 10 yards with my 30-06. I'll actually be bow hunting tomorrow afternoon on the other side of 17a. I meant to thank you for that and couldn't find your contact info!

• Like 2

Hey, how are you! I did! A doe actually I spotted her while I was walking up the gravel road. I was able to slip off into some cover and wait for her to give me a good shot. Wound up hitting her at about 10 yards with my 30-06. I'll actually be bow hunting tomorrow afternoon on the other side of 17a. I meant to thank you for that and couldn't find your contact info!

Congrats! glad to hear you're

still at it and now bowhunting. My # is 845 499 0584

man how cool is that! I love hearing stories like that! Congrats guys that's what hunting is all about.  Guy have to remember this is not the most popular sport in the world anymore.  A lot of people are against it these days.  I love hearing stories about fellow hunters helping each other out like that.  This is a brotherhood.  Every time I run into another hunter in the woods its an experience!  I have never met a grumpy hunter in the woods and I have met some pretty cool people in the woods!

• Like 1