looking for hunting land in newark valley area

squirrel slayer

may have seen in earlier post but i just moved to this area recently and i am looking for some land to be able to hunt on. i have a few places that are dec gamelands, but from what i have seen they have been overhunted and the game is gone. all season last year only saw 1 deer and maybe 3 squirrels on one track of land..... any ideas will be helpful

• 2 weeks later...

Hey slayer - Not sure what stateland you have hunted but Oakley Corners is a great place. It is located at Dutchtown Road and Hullsville Road. (you can get on Dutchtown from 38B)The dirt road section that continues where Hullsville meets Dutchtown goes out about a mile and a half to a dirt cul de sac. There is nothing out there but woods and the occasional mountain biker. I used to hunt suirrells out there but it has been a few years so things might have changed. If you haven't been out there, I suggest you check it out. Don't forget to go down Hullsville a little ways and go fishing in the ponds too. Pickerel, Largemouth, Jack Perch, Bluegills, and bullheads are some of the species you can catch down there.

Yes the state woods do get pounded during deer season! I hunt Ketchumville(newark valley)and Tracy Creek(south of Vestal). If you head north try out Robinson Hollow. I can't really help you out with private land because I struggle to find it too. You might want to pay some landowners a visit and ask for permission.

Atleast you have some good trout fishing nearby!

Good luck!

I have done some spotlighting out near the Tracy Creek area this year and man are there some massive deer out there. I never hunted the stateland there but have driven past it several times. The section off of Crumm Rd looks like a good spot but I have never gotten a chance to scout it.

• 3 weeks later...

You can also access Oakley Corners from Snapp Rd. Turn off Rt.38B onto Snapp. the road dead ends down near the swamp. I haven't been in there this year, but I know they harvested logs in there last year so it should be fairly easy to walk on the logging roads. It used to be so thick that a 75 yd shot was hard to get.