slow day on the stand

mark3885

Today was a slow day on stand , being so warm , the deer are not moving. Went back to the cabin and pulled out the TC Triumph. I just got some new 300 gr. XTP sabots , wanting to move up to a heavier bullet from the 250 gr shockwave. The 250 gr always shot good with 2 '' groups at 100yds., but I may have a chance to go to Fort Stockton TX. to hunt Aoudad sheep on a friends 35000 acre ranch. The 300gr would be a better bullet for a 500 lb Aoudad.

I have some .54 cal pyrodex pellets that I bought for my TC .54 Renegade , so i dropped 2 down the barrel of the Triumph and I could hear them hit bottom. Dropped the 300 gr XTP in and let 'er rip. DEAD NUTS at 100 yds. , sweet ,now i"m wondering If there would be too much fouling for another shot, dropped in 2 more pellets and had to push them down the last 4 " with the bullet. Next shot touches the first at 100 yds. Now I'm grinning ear to ear, better run a few patches and let go another shot , touches the other 2, now I'm really pumped.

I plug the info into the Nikon spot on ballistic calculator and come up with a chart that will take me out to 264 yds on 9 power. Didn't mean to ramble but i found the sabots after the shots and saw that some of the petals are ripped off the base of the sabot. Is this a problem with this load? Let me know what you all think. I will run some bullets with 120 gr loose pyrodex , maybe tomorrow.

Are they the XTP mag or regular? I too like the 300gr grain bullets in the XTP. I don't think you will get fast enough speeds for the mag to work as it should . If you want a bullet a little better try the Speer .452 300gr deep curls.You will be impressed

I don't shoot much pellets but I have not shot .54 pellet out of a .50 in-line. I might question that.

I would start out at a lesser charge then 120 loose and work your way up by 5grains. Maybe start at 80 and then 85. 90 is the sweet spot on alot of guns these days.

Nice shooting/

Steve

How are you getting 120gr in pellets? I am not 100% sure of the conversion but I would say 120 in pellets is about 90-100gr loose. I think your 90gr loose would be fine to 200yards.

If you get the accuracy you want with 120 in pellets don't hesitate to use that.

Good luck.

The pyrodex .54 cal pellets are 60 gr. They fit down the barrel of my .50 triumph. I may have a problem after 4-5 shots with the pellets hanging up on the fouling when i reload. But in a hunting situation , 4-5 shots , is a lot of shooting.