best place to go?

newbee

ive been hunting dutchess (2nd year), poughkeepsie side of the river..a lot of pressure in the area.

should i head across the river and north? also are MUA's the only place you can hunt here?? im a western transplant used to open country spot and stalk. not a method easily adopted here.

thanks gents, and happy Rut!

It's my opinion and others will disagree with me but spot and stalk here although not impossible the conditions have to be perfect. The woods here are very loud so getting close to anything undetected unless it is raining or you have some open property is very difficult. Unlike the west we don't typically have acres upon acres of open area and most of us hunt wooded areas. If you are able to spot something here you are probably close enough to shoot it. Most of us either sit and wait or do a slow walk through the woods. Best of luck to you!

I've kicked up quite a few deer on my scouting trips, and we were noisy as heck. I don't see a problem with a stalk in the areas I've been. Now with the leaves down, you'll just need to slow down the pace and try to walk on large rocks instead of twigs and branches. Wait for the wind to blow and walk at the same time works for me.

thanks for the replies..

one of the bigger issues for me is, the public land i am hunting is relatively small <900 acres, with quite a few hunters in place.. i would feel like sh** trampling through someones stand sight.. a bonus for them if i push a deer their way :) ..

I am going to try another area today. and next week im headed up north a couple hours.

thanks again

I've kicked up quite a few deer on my scouting trips, and we were noisy as heck. I don't see a problem with a stalk in the areas I've been. Now with the leaves down, you'll just need to slow down the pace and try to walk on large rocks instead of twigs and branches. Wait for the wind to blow and walk at the same time works for me.

Shawn, I believe hes not talking about just stalking quietly in the woods looking for deer, he is talking about how they do it out west were they use a spotting scope and identify their target from a long distance and try to stalk up for a closer shot in range nothing what so ever like you walking around with a bb gun and kicking up a few deer. newbee correct if im wrong on this.

• Like 1

Shawn, I believe hes not talking about just stalking quietly in the woods looking for deer, he is talking about how they do it out west were they use a spotting scope and identify their target from a long distance and try to stalk up for a closer shot in range nothing what so ever like you walking around with a bb gun and kicking up a few deer. newbee correct if im wrong on this.

Not sure if there is much of a difference as long as you encounter a decent game that you're willing to pursue. Weather I have a "bb" gun or a bow, doesn't matter. I've spotted and stalked plenty of opportunities for deer in open and in wooded areas.

PS, next time you try to belittle a NYS approved firearm legal for hunting, educate yourself the difference between a bb gun and an air gun.

Wow, don't be so sensitive. I was not trying to be little your air weapon arsenal. Nor do I mean any disrespect when I say smoke pole ie muzzle loader, arrow flinger ie archer. If you read his original post again you will realize he was asking methods that work around here because he was familiar with spot and stalk the way they do in the west in open country completely different then what we use here. Just curious you said you have plenty of opportunities to spot and stalk in wooded areas, any successful hunting stories that involve such?

Wow, don't be so sensitive. I was not trying to be little your air weapon arsenal. Nor do I mean any disrespect when I say smoke pole ie muzzle loader, arrow flinger ie archer. If you read his original post again you will realize he was asking methods that work around here because he was familiar with spot and stalk the way they do in the west in open country completely different then what we use here. Just curious you said you have plenty of opportunities to spot and stalk in wooded areas, any successful hunting stories that involve such?

First, apologize if I jumped the gun there.

As for stories, none that I care to share on the forums. Let's just say NY has a long way to go as far as understanding the benefits of air gun hunting for big game.

I think air guns like pellet rifles are great for small critters especially since supressors are not permitted for hunting in this state. I really don't know much or anything at all about the large caliber airguns that they use for big game but I don't see much of advantage with those just a different style. To each their own.

@ guns..

spot and stalk out west is exactly how you described it. you can see for miles. the principles are the same as far as patterning them. food sources and watering holes are more pinpoint accurate. (deer can eat and drink wherever they want in NY) you can set up after noon ambushes. but typically bucks will bed down hill side, if you get a bead on them, thats when the hunt begins.. alot of fun, alot of work..

Edited by newbee

so in dutchess county, can you hunt anywhere other than the multiple use areas??? i kid you not there were 4 young does bedded, or just chilling, in a field (private property) 30' off the road max. 2 min from my parking area. i cant tell you how tempting it was lol..

As long as you are 500' from a dwelling etc, you should be able to hunt the area. WMA are designed with wildlife in mind, but you can also hunt state forest, DEP property with proper permit, and private land if allowed access. The 500' rule only applies to areas you do not have permission. Permission will remove the 500' rule if you are on permitted land.

so in dutchess county, can you hunt anywhere other than the multiple use areas??? i kid you not there were 4 young does bedded, or just chilling, in a field (private property) 30' off the road max. 2 min from my parking area. i cant tell you how tempting it was lol..

Short answer is there is just a few public land places in Dutchess; any else is private and requires permission.

Go here to click on local county map;

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/7804.html

Not all the state land listed is huntable, some of the parks have their own regs for hunting and fishing.

The MUA and WMA that are listed are.