Hunting thanksgiving

JonathanStrange

Obviously thanksgiving is coming up. What have you guys found in previous years about the quantity of people in the woods on thanksgiving morning? After the monkey-fest that was opening day, I'm reluctant to hunt anywhere that isn't bow only for the rest of the year. But I might if I can expect it to be a little quieter (and safer).

Cheers,

S.

Obviously thanksgiving is coming up. What have you guys found in previous years about the quantity of people in the woods on thanksgiving morning? After the monkey-fest that was opening day, I'm reluctant to hunt anywhere that isn't bow only for the rest of the year. But I might if I can expect it to be a little quieter (and safer).

Cheers,

S.

Thanksgiving used to be a very productive hunting day. You would have a very intense morning where hunters mostly got involved with drives and had deer moving everywhere. I used to have it all figured out. As the hunters left around noon for Thanksgiving dinner, the woods would empty out, and I always knew where the deer would get pushed to with that intense morning pressure. So a very careful still-hunt through the area always resulted in a Thanksgiving deer. The whole hunt would take about 2 hours.

One of the nice things about living where you hunt is that I don't have to quit early and rush home for the Thanksgiving dinner like everyone else does. So I've always had the woods all to myself on Thanksgiving afternoon. We have all the family showing up at about 5:00 for eating on the turkey-bird. Everybody hunts so we moved it later so everyone could hunt the whole day if they wanted to.

But it seems that in recent years, people don't even come out for the morning hunt. No more drives, no more heavy pressure. So my great scheme doesn't work anymore. There is no pressure to put them in that one little sanctuary spot.

I have had great luck always knowing how to use other hunters and their pressure. Concentrating on escape routes and hunter patterns and actions, I generally have been able to be at a good intercept position. I never complain about too much hunter pressure because it all works to my advantage during gun season (only). But Thanksgiving has lately been a complete disappointment from that standpoint.

So, if you are looking for an absolutely dead woods with nothing moving during daylight hours, Thanksgiving day is probably the day you want.