Hunting on Public Land in Saratoga and South Glen Falls

BowhuntingOnly

I have been living in here Saratoga Spring 2 years now. I have been Bow-hunting deer in Westchester County; I would like to find some public land closer to hunt on. I know there’s great deer hunting here in Saratoga County but lots of gun clubs, and they have stakes on all the land that seems decent. Anyone knows of any decent public land? Is there any area anyone can recommend I would be greatly appreciative?

Albany Pine Bush is a very large tract of public bow hunting (no guns allowed all season), and home to not only a good number of deer, but some pretty darn good bucks as well. I have some friends that used to hunt down their religiously with very good success, and they are pretty average bow hunters. Don't be fooled by it being in Albany either, it's made up of some beautiful terrain, and lots of oaks! There is also some small tracts of public land in Wilton that you could sink your teeth into. Over by the Terrill Hills development just off route. 50 is a place I have always known as the "County Pines" amongst my father's hunting group. I have seen some fantastic bucks come off that property over the years, but it has gone down a bit in size due to development. Personally I would really spend some time down in Albany, I have tagged along a handful of times with my buddies and was very impressed with what I seen, not to mention it has the track record to prove it.

Parcel 45, the county land, and another large chunk of state land off of Ballard is all in the Northern zone. There is also Carter's pond state land in Washington County, Elderidge Lane and Daketown, which is all state land, some in the NZ, some in the SZ and also a chunk over in Greenfield. If you look on the DEC web site you will find plenty of areas.

The Albany Pine bush does hold some deer, it also gets hunted some what heavily but I manage to see deer on the odd occassion I hunt it. I work off of route 20 in Guilderland and see deer outside of work very often.

• 1 year later...