snowshoe hare cycle

Hi, can anyone reply with their knowledge of where the southern Adirondacks might be in the snowshoe hare cycle ? I am a long-time cottontail hunter who wants to start hunting snowshoe this year. I have read that their populations can swing from a peak of 3000 per square mile to almost nothing over a 10 year cycle.

Does anyone have information on what point the Adirondacks are in the cycle ? I was planning on hunting in Warren County for starters. If I step into good habitat in December, should I expect to see a lot of rabbits or next to nothing, or something in between ? Thank you for your reply.

the dec is the best to contact and get info. I do know from be a brown and white rabbit hunter in my younger days the cycle runs like a 7 years spread from very low amounts to a high. Then the rabbits get the mange, they die off, the fox, and yote then get the mage and also die off...

now at 71 with bad legs, and no more dogs I sure miss hearing a pack run....it use to be even not great but you could get some runs in North Pharsalia NY and that like a hour above Binghamton. But the forrest of red pine got to large so nothing for the white rabbits to eat on...

I have read that the cycle is from 7 - 13 years...Take your pick. Here in Rensselaer County, hares have been scarce to non-existent for the past couple of years. During that same time, I found them to be plentiful in the Adirondacks.

Interested in a guided hunt??....Give Jamie Frasier a call at ADIRONDACK MOUNTAIN AND STREAM

Good Luck,

Early