2012 Xbow Season

BizCT

Went out with crossbow yesterday. Hunted the private 8 acres I have access to in Putnam County (3N). Didn't see anything. Covered a lot of ground. Was there 620am-11:30am.

Went to Lockwood DEP land from 12pm-dark. What a disaster, people everywhere. Saw 2 guys target shooting with a handgun. I didn't call the DEP police, because they were just off the DEP land on private property, but annoying nonetheless. Decided to sit close to houses in some really heavy stuff and figuring thats where deer hang out to be safe. Did a doe bleat call at 2pm and 2 big deer popped up 60-70yards from me and took off. Couldn't get a look at their heads, but they weren't fawns.

Will be out Saturday & Sunday. Not sure where yet. Might have a chance to hunt a food plot Sunday from a treestand with my brother's friend. We'll see if it happens.

• Like 1

Saturday – Hunted private land in Carmel (Putnam County-3N) from dark – 12pm. Didn't see a thing. Had my Dad doing big loops trying to push deer to me. Didn't happen. Then went to Ninham Mountain Public Land, but it was so packed with hunter's and mountain bikers, we left right away. Went to Lockwood Public Land till dark and didn't see any deer. However, I saw a black squirrel about 100 yards away. I see black squirrels in Westchester County and NYC all the time, but never while hunting. Not going to lie, thought about putting a stalk on and sending a lumenok through one. Would definitely make a cool mount. Maybe I'll go back sometime and try to find it again.

Sunday – My brother's friend with the food plot in Put Valley bailed out on me. I hunted the afternoon and private land and didn't see anything.

Seemed like a slower year than usual. The biggest buck I saw all year was the 4pt I shot opening morning of the gun season.

Next up is a trip to Minnesota at the end of the month for a Bobcat.

Haven't been out.......using reg bow though.....The x- bow seriously stopped me from filling a doe tag or two...during reg season...now every ones asking for more sausage...Oooppps...they should have gone hunting I guess...lol

This weather has been craptastic!...rain this morning with high winds...high winds and branches falling every where this past week end...no deer sightings before that...maybe this afternoon and tomorrow...we'll see