2012 Covert Red 40

I picked up this cam on a great deal that I couldn't refuse. I went against my promise not to buy another red IR cam and stick with Black Flash, but this cam has absolute raving reviews. Probably a contender for cam of the year in most cases.

I can see why. The cam simply does everything good and most things great. The daytime image quality is absolutely the best I have ever seen in a commercial cam, period. It also throws out some incredible light for night pics. Trigger is solid and the 3 burst photo series is extremely fast and borders too fast. I suspect all three pics are taken around 1 second to 1.5 second TOTAL. Not 1.5 seconds in between pics (that would be real fast anyway), but all three in 1.5 seconds. Cam is ready to rock realistically within 5 seconds (the recovery time) after a trigger, and that is superb.

User screen is easy to navigate. Battery life is to the point you simply don't need to worry about it. Video quality is good, but not great. It's not an HD video cam resolution, but it is OK. That's really the only potential knock on the cam.

I'd say it's the best red IR cam I have ever owned from a performance point of view.

That said, I still like my black flash. The Black 60 is the sister cam, all the same but the black flash component and I have two of them now. Looking forward to the 2013 models as they'll have HD.

post-575-0-74292600-1362279996_thumb.jpg

post-575-0-57740600-1362280008_thumb.jpg

Edited by phade

• 2 weeks later...