Dunston Chestnuts

I know they like sun so the north end of the field should be good.  They don't like wet feet so watch out for low spots.  The do like grow tubes and competing vegetation should be eliminated.

post-2156-0-06868700-1360086359_thumb.jp

This is one I got in the mail last April.  The rest cleared their 4' tubes but this one went nuts,  it was under 2' when planted. 

Bob

Dunstan...not Dunston.

What will planting them on the edges of a non-secluded field entice? Chestnuts should be treated like acorns, apples, etc. as a special treat/draw. If they are on the edge, are bucks going to visit it in daylight with regularity? Maybe, but I doubt it.

Sorry about the spelling. I didnt say the edge of the field was the right location. I was thinking I wanted to plant it on the edge because eventually when they are full grown it will provide good road seclusion. The road to the north is a seasonal road so it does not get much traffic anyway

I wouldn't choose chestnuts for screen. I'd be looking at some pines, etc. for that purpose.

I'd plant chestnuts in a more isolated and smaller space to concentrate the deer and encourage daytime visits.