hopefully....

I'll be able to get one plot in today...just finishing up the coffee and heading out. I was feeling bad but considering the farmer next door just tilled and spread fertilizer on his 200 acre fields yesterday...All's good....Weeds have been a major issue this spring....for him as well I see. So I finally gave up disced...disced again then yesterday disced and dragged at the same time ...pulling out the bazillion daisy plants that round up doesn't seem to kill...also the remains of some damn tough Mullen...Well I can't say all the lime I spread isn't well incorporated..

Now for the upper plot and my sweet corn field...which half is still too damp to finish discing and rain is due tomorrow and Friday...Oh well with as much as I'm planting  we should be able to get enough to Freeze before the critters get it and it's fenced on 3 sides...the rest of the area will be getting hog radish in the fall. I am going to disc and drag then lay down fertilizer and power plant and harrow it in...this will be a odd shaped plot, sorta shaped like a giant comma ..emphasis on sorta...No pics for I backed up and cleaned cache...it will have a fenced garden on one side....mature apples and woods lining part of it and the poplar bedding area I cut this past winter ,apples, pines and hard woods on another side.This connects to a clover planting and fall hog radish/ turnips I'll be planting. I have been working on smoothing our land from when the farmer plowed then never worked the land again...baby steps...so just adding a bit more...anything I have to mow will get smoothed out. Since it has to be done I might as well plant for now......... in a few years I'll just go in and plant a nice pasture type mix that will be low maintenance. Still providing some food and cover for the critters

Most people just plow, not paying any attention to the old back furrows.  You may already be doing this, but if you plow into the old " back furrows", 1-, you  keep the land fairly even or can even control the drainage elevation of each " land "; 2. you help with the drainage, erosion problems; 3. the land gets moved back and forth evenly; 4-  helps with weed seed control in the soils.

Now this may hold more true on " flatlanders" ( LOL)  heavier type of ground where surface drainage is needed to grow a crop, but the plowing methods still holds true on all types of soils

LoL.... by that time I'll be closing in on being a 60 year old woman with two bad knees ...two bad ankles...and bulging disc in my lower back...who doesn't like Dr appts.....thinking I'll be slowing down at some point...Mr B hopes ;) ...lol

I got some pics to down load...you know the before pics....later just in for a water break

landtrac...we bought a plow...and I will never use it....the rocks ...shale and 6 in of dirt over it just makes it foolish...ie...the farmer that started leasing last year...no till drilled... in then fall he plowed...well we are talking millions of dollars in farm equipment here.... huge huge tractors all kinds of special discing/tilling smoothing equipment...well he was up for the first time day before  yesterday...big tractor with discing/tilling thing on back....the sound was God awful...and stopping every 100ft...next thing we know the front is filling up with boulders...then the owner showed up and every thing stopped...the next day some thing new on the back and they started again...that afternoon they were up in a gator...two ppl walking through the field hand picking...rocks/boulders...Mr B calls them goobers........I'm pretty sure...there will not be any more plowing going on...loosening the soil here just causes the winter frost heaving to push as many rocks to the surface as possible...and even the discing is bad for it breaks up the shale into many nasty rocks...Every thing the glaciers pulled up out of the valley lined and produced our hills...there was a lot of rock down there...lol

Here it is almost 10p.m and the farmer has two tractors running trying to beat the impending rain ...I honestly can't figure out what they are planting...they are on the high side of hill...really hope they decide to stop before doing this field right next door...We get up at 4a.m....and the rocks they are hitting are making quite the racket and they are several hundred yards away...this field starts 50 ft from our kitchen door...