Baxtertown Woods Wildlife Management Area

JJS67

Hi all,

I am new to hunting and this forum. I was wondering, Has anyone had any success bow hunting in this area, Baxtertown Woods Wildlife Management Area?

Thanks

Are you talking about the woods on Baxtertown Road in Fishkill ? If so , I thought all that property was private and posted ?

There are nice bucks over there. Have you ever seen the herd on rt 84 at the prison? Same deer. Stony Kill farm, etc.

Have you ever seen the herd in the fields just north of the intersection of Rte. 9 and Red Schoolhouse Road ? It's time for Stony Kill to have a lottery of some sort to thin the herd. One of the biggest road kill bucks I've ever seen was struck by a car at the intersection on Baxtertown and Rte. 9 .

JJS67........I just looked at the DEC website in regards to the Baxtertown Woods Management Area. I had no idea they opened it up to bow hunting in 2011. Here you are with your very first post and you certainly set me straight !  Unfortunately , I don't know of anyone that has bow hunted there , but I strongly suggest you try there. There appears to have been numerous nuisance complaints , which led the DEC to open it up for bow hunting , so you know the deer are there. I wish you all the best for the up coming bow season .